1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ghetto suburban/rural tough kids?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have been at work putting some more photo series together, and over the past year or so I have really gotten to know and respect the city pretty good. As soon as I finish school (if ever) and get my head straight, my goal is to move into the city. Most people I know think I'm nuts and that Detroit is a rough place to live, blah blah blah. But I really can't handle the suburbs anymore. To bland, boring, uncultured, and cookie cutter for me. I need to live somewhere with history, buildings, actual architecture, atmosphere, etc..

Anyways, as I sit up here in Mt. Pleasant (about 2 hours north) I can't help but laugh at some of these people. I was just at the gas station, and there were these 2 kids, I'd say 16-19ish in age. Baggy jeans, bright white and super clean Nike basketball shoes on, huge coat, one had a sideways visor on, the other a backwards Detroit "D" hat on.

Ok, these kids are from MT. PLEASANT. What's with the act? The closest thing to an actual urban lifestyle or ghetto is Saginaw or Flint, which I'm probably sure they haven't been.

What is the mentality of people who are trying to be something that they are not? I bet if you were to drop these kids off in any given neighborhood in any large US city, they would poop their baggy pants. Seeing these people makes me want out of these place right away. I don't even see people like this in Detroit, and they actually live there day after day, year after year.

Anyways, that's it for now. I just felt like typing something.

2. I know exactly what you're talking about. I was at a gas station in Ontario, CA a couple years back and a couple of white hood-boy wannabes came rolling in, blasting Eminem (the ultimate white hood-boy wannabe) on the stereo of their tricked-out Accord. When they got out of the car, all baggy jeans and T-shirts down to the knees, they were trying to speak in what academia calls "Black English Vernacular"--made all the more risible by their obvious SoCal-white-surfer-boy accents.

Now, Ontario's got its rough parts--most of the cities in the "Inland Empire" have terrible gang problems--but this was ridiculous. Drop these kids off without a car in downtown San Bernardino, let alone in South Central or North Long Beach, and they'd be crapping themselves with fear. The two Salvadoran gangbangers who mugged me about a week after this incident could have left all four of these guys bleeding to death on the pavement.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Every little town has 'em... Bruce L mentioned the other day that they even have 'em in England.

IMO - Hip Hop music is to blame. They are emulating what they hear in the rap songs and see on the videos

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    BB....you won't last on the mean streets of Detroit.

Peter....I lived in Ontario back in 1978. Last time I was there was 2001.

-Mike

6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Not true. I know severl people who live downtown. It's quite nice actually. It's nice and deserted most of the time, and I don't like people, so it fits me.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    But if you were referring to the neighborhoods, you're right. I wouldn't last a week.

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What about the many others you don't know?

Maybe I'm wrong here, and my impression of you from your threads is totally wrong. For lack of a better word, you don't come across as "tough" enough to live in a big city like Detroit. Like I said, I could very well be wrong. If I am, my apologies. All I have to go on is your posts here at TB.

-Mike

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, we have them in England. It's ridiculous. There are kids in my school like that, and it's quite embarassing to see them. I bet they've never even talked to a black person before. Their conduct is rude and not befitting of a gentlemen either!

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    BB, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I grew up in the Mack & Van Dyke area where my mom lived, and my dad stayed right between 94 and Chandler Park Dr., just off of Chalmers. So I can honestly say that I grew up in THE hood, but you wouldn't know it if I didn't tell you. Just because you grew up there doesn't mean that you have to act like it and tell everyone about it. That's why these kids kill me with the hood act. It's just stupid.

While I have no plans to move back to Detroit, I love my hometown. If you take it for what it is, it's not a terrible place to live like it's national perception would make it seem. If you look for hood, you'll find it. But if you look for culture, it's there all over the place.

By the way... even though I lived right up the street from it, Indian Village always baffled me. It's crazy how you can be in what some would consider one of the roughest parts of the city, cross the street and suddenly you're in this area with these amazing old time MANSIONS... I'm not sure when those homes were built, but they are so unique and ooze a certain prestige of the past. Last time I took a walk through there, the vast majority of them were very well kept.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ever since they put that Country Music Television station on mah cable, ah can't help but get drunk, dance in a line, and screw mah sister. I blames the music!!

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Ahh yes, Indian Village is neat. Many of those homes were originally built in the late 1800's though the roaring 20's. Some are absoultly gorgious.

I too am amazed how some of these rich little pockets are situated literally in the middle of some of the worst and ugliest neighborhoods. You will have a $2 million home, and literally across the street you have boarded up houses that sell for around $7,000-10,000. That's common thoughout the city. The more I roam the city documenting it via photography, the more I come to like it.

13. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan

I don't really know what you mean by tough, but you might be right.

Downtown is pretty mellow though. I wouldn't be moving into the projects or anything like that.

14. I don't know Detroit, but I've always thought the suburban fear of the city was pretty funny. For sure there are bad neighborhoods, but lots of suburbanites are scared of the whole place.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    :eek:

:)

16. Suburban fear of cities is pretty much universal; Detroit is just a lot worse than most. The origin of this fear is usually a 50/50 split between race and built environment density. A lot of Americans just get freaked out at the idea of living on anything less than a quarter of an acre and walking any further than from the parking lot to the front door. They also really, really dislike the idea of living near non-whites.

The prevailing story of suburban development is one of working- and middle-class whites leaving "overcrowded" cities, but the numbers don't bear this out. In much of the country, suburban development resulted from rural/small town whites moving to urban areas during the period ~1940-1970 but not staying in the central city for more than a couple of years--if they moved there at all. Chicago (southern/southwestern Cook County), Detroit (Macomb County), Los Angeles (the San Gabriel Valley and the "Gateway Cities"), and the San Francisco Bay Area (the East Bay) all have large suburban areas that were originally settled largely by ex-rural whites of Southern and Midwestern origin.

17. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Known as "White Flight". It's mostly associated with the rust belt states. Most of the major cities from the east coast, up though Gary, Indiana, Chicago, St. Louis, all expirenced the decline. Unfortunitly for Detroit, it hit hardest because the city was basically built on a single industry. Once the auto industry started to die, so did the city.

18. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    My fiance was born in the Hemet/Murrieta/Temecula area, believe me, it's even worse up there. White boy hip-hop turns a bunch of rich white boys into thugs who take advantage of easy prey and than go back to their nice homes after they hit the bars.

I was born in Rubidoux, it's not SC or LBC, but it was a hood.

Likewise, I'm fascinated with the beauty of large downtown cities. I just love the culture.

19. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't mean tough as in muscular, beat people up tough. I mean tough as in had some time to be exposed to the harsh realities that life has to offer.

It just seems to be like you live a somewhat sheltered life. Some of the threads you start ask really naive questions. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just that you're young and come across as living a life far away from the hard realities that many people deal with living in big cities. I don't picture a young guy like yourself moving into a sweet condo on the trendy part of Detroit.

You're a good guy and all, don't get me wrong. I don't think you're stupid or a wimp. I just think your friends may be giving you some good advice. But hey, I only know you by what you reveal to us at TB.

-Mike

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

:rolleyes:

Okay, guys. Then tell me - Why are all of these middle class suburban kids dressing like gang bangers and talking about "hos" and "popping a cap" in whoever or whatever and generally pretending to be gang bangers? If it has nothing to do with hip hop culture, then what part of popular culture is influencing these kids then? I'm not saying that everybody that listens to that music acts like this.

I didn't say that just because rap is on TV that people start acting this way. Obviously these kids would have to first become fans of the genre, then they begin to emulate the style of dress and speech that is typical within the genre.

Bryan, your attempt at humor was a little over the top. To make a more realistic analogy, consider a middle class tax accountant who was born and raised in a major metropolitan area who goes out at night to go line dancing dressed in a cowboy hat, wranglers, boots, and a bolo tie. I might assume that he is a fan of country music and that his style of dress and the activities he chooses to engage in have been influenced by the country music "scene".

The fact that you dismissed my opinion that hip hop culture has anything to do with what we are talking about here is ridiculous to me. The fact that you've implied that people who listen to country are all alcoholics who engage in incest is somewhat offensive to me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: