1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ghettotronix

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by 00Sven, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 00Sven

00Sven

Apr 3, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Hey one and all,

I play in a 60s-style surf instrumental band and was looking at getting an inexpensive upright to play on a few tunes we do. I do have a real DB but it is too large to tote around and use for a only 2-3 songs. I spent the evening reading what folks had to say about the Palatinos, Ergos and Deans but could not find any info from you Ghettotronix. I must admit I am intriqued about their HURB. brand. Does anyone know anything about the bass, like tone, durability, etc.? I know that it uses nylon strings but you can put gut on it (according to their site).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is their link:

http://www.nophi.net/ghettotronix/

Thanks!
    00Sven

2. Haven't seen the instrument, but the photos indicate it will have lots of nasty hum in the sound.
    The pickup under the bridge is a piezo buzzer (like the ones from Radio Shack) which has no shielding. I've made some OK pickups from those buzzers, but only after totally encapsulating them and all the wiring in copper or aluminium foil connected to ground.

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Finally, an instrument that makes a Wishbass look like real craftsmanship!

For the price, I might be half tempted to buy one- but more so to try and make my own. Or spend a little more and buy one of these:

http://www.konaweb.com/stick/

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The soundclips aren't half bad. Simple design and construction, which I always find appealing.

Matt

5. 00Sven

00Sven

Apr 3, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    That was my thinking as well. Since it will not be a main instrument and used for a few songs live, maybe it will be worth it.

Thanks Tonerangger for the info on the pickups. That sure does help.

00Sven

6. ghettotronix

ghettotronix GHETTOTRONIX

Apr 4, 2006
    hey all,

thanks for posting about my basses. i'd just like to just take a brief moment to address a few of the comments...

in regards to the concern about the piezos -- the prototype pictured on the site (and sold in the ebay auction) was the last bass i made using a standard unsheilded piezo. even so, there was no issue with hum, buzzing, or feedback even at loud volumes, or with a fuzzbox inline. the only problem was getting a truly even tone across the strings, i have since abandoned those piezos and started ordering sheilded dual piezo sets from a third party. all of my HURBs come with them now. oh, by the way, all sound clips were recorded using the single piezo set up on prototype. ill have new clips & photos next week

in regards to the wishbass comment -- i am still laughing about this one, because wishbass (along with http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/) was one of my inspirations for creating the HURB. i will be the first to tell you that im no seasoned luthier -- im just a tinkerer with a woodshed and a passion for making my own gear. what i can tell you is they play well, sound great, and really dont look half bad. the simple construction is really the best part about the HURB. also: the kona walking stick is way cool too, i may buy one when i get done making the next batch of cutomer's HURBS.

i will gladly take any constructive criticism, advice, field any questions, and maybe even ask a few of my own.

thanks guys!

-randy

www.ghettotronix.com

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the info, Randy. Interesting to hear the trial and error you've gone through.

I think your response to the Wishbass comment is funny, too. I think Wish might end up having a "Bob Dylan effect" on wouldbe bass builders like myself, and obviously you as well. A lot of people say Dylan has a horrible, obnoxious, annoying voice, yet he made people like Jimi Hendrix say, "Well, now if he can do it..."

Have fun! Keep up the inspired work, and keep us posted!

Matt

8. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    Hey Randy, great website! The soundclips are great.

What's your turnaround time?

9. I have one on order right now...4 string, 42-inch, red oak body, with a tone and a volume knob. I'll let you all know how it sounds, although it may take up to a month to finally get to me. Personally, I think the sound clips are great, especially the 2nd one. If I like it enough I'll probably be getting an arco piccolo bass from them once they get it right.

10. 00Sven

00Sven

Apr 3, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I order one a few weeks ago and will let everyone know my thoughts once I get it. Once I get a chance to play around with it.

00Sven

11. ghettotronix

Apr 4, 2006
    hey guys, im working on your basses as we speak. almost ready to ship out. i've also finally been able to properly taper a neck, and i will soon be able to offer that on my basses.

in addition, i've got the new pick-up systems in play, and they sound great. ill be posting some samples soon. i also have pictures of the new pickups on one of the basses posted on the ghettotronix site.

i will fill out my profile now.

thanks!

-r

12. ghettotronix

Apr 4, 2006
    hey gang, updates made to the site, new pics and stuff!

13. 00Sven

00Sven

Apr 3, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I got my HURB in last week and I must say that is it pretty damn cool! It is solidly built and the tone is really good. I ran it through my Fender Bassman without any EQ and it has a good, deep UR sound. I will post more as I play around it. I cannot wait to play it live!

It is definitely worth the value and Randy was wonderful to deal with on the building of it.

00Sven

14. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    AND they make lefties!!! Gotta love that!!
    I might even order a lefty lap steel guitar then they start production!

00Sven, how are those nylon strings??

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Can't you just sit on the other side?:D

16. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    00Sven, how are those nylon strings??