1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ghost graph tech pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yugo, Mar 28, 2006.

1. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    i was thinking of maybe putting one of these on my fretless and i was just wanting to know ifyou can run one of these without the pre amp and if so what kinda sound you can get.
    i'm no piezo expert and am open to any advice.:meh:

2. You CAN wire GHOST piezo p/u without pre-amplifier. On page 9, 10, 11 of their manual, there is a schematic and drawing of it.

But virtually every TBers is against it. Because of massive difference of impedance between two p/u's (magnetic and piezo - hight and ultra ultra high), it is... worst of both worlds, so they say.

And the sound of piezo p/u without preamp (or with mismatching preamp)... brittle, shrieky, no bottom and middle, just screeching highs. Kind of useless sound.

My custom Nordstrand P + GHOST p/u + GHOST preamp is not finished yet. If I get this bass in my hands, I will try to upload some sound clips.

Hope it helps.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    eutgard,

Are you going to be doing V-Bass or driving midi modules with that? If so, check out http://VBASS.thedrillgun.com when you get your bass and are ready to get happening. Actually, even if you don't hearing it would be cool - I've only heard them in guitars (quite fine they are for that).

4. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    :meh: i'm not really too sure about this piezo idea i had i was thinking of maybe trying to get a double bass type sound outta my fretless but i dunno how i would do that with my kinda budjet, and my lack of space in the control cavity (i don't even think i could fit a preamp without cutting into my bass):confused: