1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ghost logo removal!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tonegasm, May 7, 2010.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I received this Squier P Bass for free from a friend. It plays so well that I've decided to upgrade some components and add a 70's waterslide. I removed the black link Squier logo but it looks like it stained the wood a lighter color or the wood aged around it and I have an older Squier on my hands. Anyway, I've been sanding and sanding and I can't get it to go away. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic:

http://yfrog.com/baghostlogovj

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yikes!

Revenge of the Squier logo.

I've never seen that before but I'd keep sanding.

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Oh man. My arm's about to fall off! :help:

4. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    The surrounding wood has turned yellow from exposure to light. You can see the same around the tuner holes where the nuts have covered the wood.
    You can sand that off, but I'm not sure how thick the layer is. Or put the neck in a solarium to get uniform tinting. Or just accept that your bass IS as Squier...

5. Kinda looks pretty cool. I'd keep it as-is.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, I use a palm sander.

If you have to hand sand you could try a coarser grit and work your way back to finer grits after you break through the yellowed layer.

7. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    paint the headstock to match the bass body...

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It's NOT a 70's Fender!!!!!!! It's a SQUIER!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Sand it down to remove all the finish, then paint to match the body. Leave the logo off - it's not a Fender, so putting a Fender logo on it is inappropriate.

10. +1!!
    That would be cooler.