Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ghost Notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Apr 16, 2005.

1. what exactly are they ? what songs have some examples to hear?

2. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    ghost notes are these notes that you do when you mute the strings with your left hand and you attack with your right... it's like playing a note ... without a definite pitch... we write it on a chart with an "X"
    you can listen a lot of deadnote ( you can call them like that too..) in R&B stuff,Gospel , Funk.. James jamerson done a lot.. a lot on bass player do death note.. wooten.. Marcus Miller.. i think everybody do deadnotes..

Ghost note are not just for bass... Horns make ghost note.. Drum do a lot of deadnote ( like on snare.. they play a beat and add little hit of snare between the beat... you know what i mean?)

so... i hope that will answer to your question...
    Im sorry if you don't understand everything.. my english isn't perfect...

3. Wooten uses alot in Me and My bass guitar. I dont like wooten too much personally, but it is a meaty example.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's pretty much a mute.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, the original meaning of ghost note was a high order harmonic heard when two instruments are perfectly intune. Do a google search on it and i'm sure you'll find a bunch more info.
    Sorry for the vague response.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I would say that's just a "wrong" response....?
    In 30 years of playing bass, I've never heard them described this way and it's always been what Piedro described. :meh:

7. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    thanks to confirm.. i was asking me question.. :smug:

8. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well I've never heard it in context of bass playing that way... But I've heard it in wind intruments. I was just giving another view. If I was told to play a ghost note, I would mute a note or play it extremely soft.
    I didn't mean to confuse you.

9. I thought ghost notes were somethign different then muted notes? muted or dead notes are tabbed with an X, but ghost notes are tabbed as (fret#) I'm not really sure how to play these but always assumed it wasn't the same as a muted

10. I'm pretty sure ghost notes are just very softly played notes. As Sandman1278 wrote, they are tabbed differently and also different in normal musical notation from dead notes. In a program like Guitar Pro a ghost note is also just a soft played note.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, on bass guitar they are unpitched, muted notes which may fool the ear into thinking it's heard a pitched note, in combinations - for example in fast runs in 16th note funk!

But generally, percussive, rhythmic, muted and unpitched!

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

With wind instruments, and brass, ghost notes are unpitched, "swallowed" notes, exactly like we're talking about here. I don't know where you heard that story you posted, but it's completely wrong.