GHS Bass Boomers -VS- D'Addario Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hellrazor213, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I have played D'addario strings since the beginning but have always been curious about the GHS Bass boomers...which, in your opinion, tops the other...also, which type of strings (roundwound, flatwound, etc.) would you prefer for playing Metal...
  2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I use D'addario strings also. Personally I think GHS boomers are very stiff feeling and have a higher tension. Its all personal choice but I think D'Addario's are superior. :cool:
    villis likes this.
  3. yea i agree i use D'addarios and there great
    villis likes this.
  4. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I agree and that's why I use Boomers. :D
  5. I personnally like the GHS Boomers and have them on my Jazz Bass. Excellent well rounded tone.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I've played both and prefer D'Addario. I like their tension and feel better. I also found that the Boomers died more quickly. I will admit that the Boomers had a nice tone up until they went dead. The D'Addarios keep their tone longer (IMO) and are more suited to my ideals in a string.
    villis likes this.
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The only GHS strings I've ever used were a set of flats for a five string bass, and that was 13 years ago. So I'll keep this between those, and D'addario chromes I'm using now (for roundwounds, I use D'addario XL's)

I prefer the D'addario's hands down. The GHS flats had a nice thump, but the Chromes have that too.

What sets the Chromes apart IMHO is that they seem to sing on the fretless I'm using now-a 2002 MIM Jazz, with DiMarzio Model J's. I used the GHS strings on a Fender 5 string fretless. They didn't have much punch, and didn't seem to sing like the Chromes do.

I also like the feel of the D'addario's better.

That was my experience. Others will have different experiences, and that cool :bassist:

Like many other things, it's definitely a try both, and see how you feel situation :hyper:
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree. I've used both brands and I still have a few sets of each brand on hand. IMO/IME the D'Addario XL nickel series strings have a consistent tone and a good lifespan. I've used them for many rock styles and country. IMO/IME a new set of Boomers have a more lively tone and a bit more output, but they seem to go dead faster compared to the D'Addarios I use.
    - Art
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It pains me to say this, since I've often been a defender of Boomers, but right now I like XL's better. A lot better. I got a set of Boomers that didn't sound too good, so I contacted GHS and they sent me a new set. It was worse. Since then, I've used both XL's and Chromes, and been very satisfied with them.
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    +1 on the D'addario's
  11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I even switched from TI Jazz Flats to Chromes. The last set of TI's I recieved went dead within a month. Haven't had that problem with Chromes. I would have complained, as TI's are a great string, but I had only an hour to change up before playing. I was very pleased with the Chromes. They will be staying on my bass for some time to come.
  12. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Right now my two basses are strung with Chromes and Slowounds; I love them both. Very good strings.
  13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've had the chromes on my fretless now for just over a week, and they are breaking in nicely.

I really like these! Nice fat sound, nice feel, and they can get just as growley as the XL's they replace IMHO( the XL's are staying on the fretted one though, so I can have that sound when I need it)

They have a nice thump, but with a nice melodic kind of sound. I think I'll be trying these on my Pbass soon. Will have to have that one set up at the time though, as it is used to the TI jazz flats. We'll have to see about that. I'll have a better idea after those chromes break in for about another week.

As for rounds, I've always liked D'addario XL's. :hyper:
  14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It really has been many years since I've played either brand at all. But about 30 years ago when I first started playing, I used to switch back & forth between Boomers & D'Addarios (there were a lot fewer brands on the market at that time...)

I recall prefering the D'Addarios for any of the jazz, fusion or R&B playing I did (primarily Half Rounds - which I bought for this very purpose), as they had a little warmer, richer, more traditional tone and a bit softer feel, while the Boomers were just it for most of the rock material (made my '66 Precision Bass sound almost like a Rickenbacker - but with more guts!)...

Yeah, I guess the Boomers did tend to go dead sooner than the D'Addarios. But for the time they were still alive, it was worth it! :)

These days I've been playing Dean Markley Bass Blasters for fretted bass, and like 'em just fine - especially for the money. And playing DR Nickel Lo-Riders on fretless.

The one exception is the GHS Boomer B-52s - not the regular Boomers - that I'd played for 2-3 years until recently. Pretty nice string. And they come in light gauge - .040-.060-.080-.100 - unlike regular Boomers...

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's been my experience that GHS strings in general have a half-life of a hamster given to a seven-year-old. ;)

D'addario here. Wash your hands before if you're acidic, wipe them down after, and they'll last for months.
  16. I swear by Rotosound!
  17. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I like dead Boomers myself. I can't stand any akind of clank at all.
  18. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Ive played both and I like the boomers more.

For me the D'addarios died faster and I didnt like the tone as much.

Boomers are great for everything I play.
  19. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Me too.
  20. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There you have it: different playing styles, different body chemistry, different strings. Try 'em all and decide for yourself. It's all subjective anyway :)