1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS Bass Boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Apr 5, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Hey there,I am interested in moving my strings from fender super bass to ghs bass boomers. Just woundering what peoples experiances on these strings are and how good would you rate them against the fender ones. The music I play is rock/heavy punk just to let you know. Cheers

2. I've played with the Bass Boomers before and I liked them. I am trying out other strings right now, but I do have a pack of the 45-105 Bass Boomers ready to go.

FYI, I tried the DR Hi Beams and liked the tone, but did not like playing with them. If fast slides are your thing, don't buy the DR strings.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Whoa, don't let just one DR string shape your opinion on all their strings, if that's all you're going by. I've had no issue with DR strings, but it seems like you're going a bit cheaper. I've never been crazy about GHS strings, I tried a few way back and the tone didn't do it for me. Ernie Ball strings are also worth checking out, in the same price range.

4. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I used to put them on my roscoe. I like them when they are newer, but their dead sound just doesnt work well for me. I like dead strings on my stingray, but never have used GHS on it. It might be the basses, but ive liked ernie ball strings a lot more.

5. The Fenders probably have a little more of that Piano like tone but the Boomers have very good low end that is distinct and very percusive, nice mids and smoother highs. Good output level. I like them for Rock, Country, whatever I play.

6. I used Boomers for about 9 years and got tired of changing them every 2 weeks or 20 hours of playing.

I then switched to DR FatBeams for 4yes after trying a few other sets.

I now like DA Chromes (flats) for 80% of songs, and use the FatBeams for slap/modern/jazzy tones.

The DRs last me like 2-4 months at least 40 hrs of playing, with the boomers they sound good but then go dead real fast IMO.

Don't be afraid of flat wounds, I was for a long long time, but they work/sound great.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I am currently trying out a set in my quest to find strings that I like. I have generally stuck to stainless, however the nickel coating of the boomers is a nice change.

I very decent slap/pop string with lots of grunt in the lower range but maintaining a fair bit of zing in the mids and treble range.

Overall a very decent string in my opinion. I am also planning on moving onto DR for my next experiment.

In general, they are a very decent string, the Boomers that is.

8. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    I have this same issue I just pulledthe fenders off my jazz and I put boomers on I hated them at first and I am waiting for the jury to come back on them not thrilled with the initial tone . Used to play Boomers back in my Soundgear Ibanez days and I loved them now I am not shure.

Oh well Guiltar Center is 25 minutes away.
    :hyper:

9. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    thanks for the info everyone :D, I have experiance with fenders and ernie balls and they both seem really good and I can get ernie ball nickles for about £11 and the fenders for about £14 and they both seem really good quality. Thanks for the info on the GHS strings

10. My Jazz Bass came with Fender Super Bass strings. I loved the sound but couldn't quite get used to the feel at the time. That was when I first started playing bass and rounds felt like a rasp file to me. As my technic has gotten better and I lift my fingers rather than slide them so much, I have grown to like the rounds. The Boomers feel pretty good and have a super deep low end, nice mids, slightly subdued highs though. The Fender Superbass ring like a piano.

11. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    From my experience, Bass Boomers sound good for funk or fusion or maybe country or soft rock, but they aren't the first set that comes to mind for playing punk rock.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I play classic rock/hard rock/metal - and Boomer mediums work quite well for me on a P bass...

- georgestrings

13. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Southern California
    I personally have had poor experiences with Fender strings, especially anything stock.

I played Boomers almost exclusively for four or five years, but in the past two years I have switched to Ken Smith strings and am considering trying some DRs. My experience with Boomers was good, I just wanted a change and found a bit more growl with the KS strings. I would have no problem going back to the Boomers in the future if I play in a heavier band once again.

14. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

Is that from a website? since from all local music stores, ernie balls are insanely overpriced, around £20

15. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    the fenders are from a website yes, but the £11 ernie balls, I can buy from where i study at uni, as I get them cheaper:DI think on a website the cheapest I have seen for ernie balls is about £15

The fender strings and ernie balls you can buy from here

www.stringsdirect.co.uk

and more ernie balls from here

www.stringbusters.com

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Boomers have never worked well for me-they feel tight for their gauge, die quickly, and sound flat and lifeless compared to the Ernie Ball, D'Addario, and Dean Markley nickels I've tried. Just IMHO, some people (Flea, Stuart Hamm) sound great with them. Every few years I'll try a set just to see if they were as bad as I thought they were and they are.

I don't mind guitar Boomers and I quite like GHS Progressives, Super Steels, and flatwounds, but something about the bass Boomers just doesn't do it for me.

17. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    jury's in
    Boomers gone Ernie Ball Slinkys on sound is better

18. GHS strings... I don't like them much. I tried out Bassics and Boomers a few times. DRs are much better in my opinion.

19. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    A lot of people seem to like ernie balls better than boomers, but I have a different experience. Went from ernie balls to boomers, absolutely loved the boomers. Maybe its cause I listen to flea all the time, but to me they sound and feel great.

20. I have heard just the opposite. Must depend on the person's style, technic, and body chemistry as to what will last longest for them.