GHS bass Boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steveTM, Sep 4, 2010.

1. steveTM

steveTM

Jun 5, 2010
    just got home from guitar center, only had $20. bought these strings got one for free. never used these. wondering if they were any good. durable, decent sounding **** like that

2. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    In my experience they tend to go dead really quick.

I had to buy a pack on the way to a show once... they were dead by the end of the show.

3. steveTM

steveTM

Jun 5, 2010
    damn, well i mean i got 2 for the price of one, i mean hopefully they will last a decent amount of time

4. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Well... there are those who swear by GHS's. I could have got a bad set.

5. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    ...one bad pack is not a bad brand make.
    I don't use them anymore, but I did for almost 20 years. I found them to be decent strings, both in feel and longevity.(stainless steel) I couldn't afford to experiment much, so I settled on them for a while. Always bright when new, took a beating for some time, then warmed up nicely and even with wear, and the price was right. Just my experience, and haven't played them for many years now. Play nickel-rounds and flats now.
    At $10 it's a no brainer to find out for yourself.;)

6. +1 . . . but thats kinda what I like about them :eek: they loose there snap but in a pleasant way. they still keep enough bark for quite a bit. I went on a quest year or so ago to stop trying different brands and settle on one. I was tired of experimenting. I got fed up at a local place once and got the boomers because I didnt feel like dropping big $$ again . . . been using them ever since - probably on my 5th set w/ heavy playing. great on the ear, nice on the fingers and easy on the wallet!

AND there cust support is great. got a set from GC once that clearly had a used string in it that was clipped too short (I dont think it was a GHS issue). They rushed me a replacement w/ zero hassle . . .

7. Boomers are really bright when right out of the package. Too bright, IMO. But they settle in after awhile, and their true tone sounds great. And that true tone is good for a long long time. I've tried other brands over the years, but always wind up coming back to Boomers. They are the 1 constant among all 14 of my basses.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    GHS boomers are good strings, theyre my alternate choice to Rotosounds.

9. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    At one time I used them exclusively for years, but no longer. They were good for my purposes, but the red silk wrap no longer works for me and my string-through-body basses.

For those, Ernie Ball Slinky is a welcome and refreshing change, and who's strings fit perfectly over the nut on string-throughs and without the useless and cost-raising silk wrap.

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    A nice alternative...

11. I used GHS for probably 15 years, happily. Recently I went on a quest for a good year, still haven't found a.set of strings I rely liked. The other day I walked into GC and walked out with a GHS. It made me wonder why used another.brand. I may continue to experiment in the future, but GHS will continue to be on my short list of go to's, no doubt.

12. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Prior to giving up on GHS, I tried using their LONG SCALE + line and found they were way too long, with big red silk horribly wrapping around tuning posts, even worse than trying to make do with the standard length Boomer... Sorry, I tried! But life with Ernie Ball + D'Addario (my choice for top-loads) is actually working out better for me and I save a few dollars as well.

13. I got the same deal at GC yesterday! IMO $20 for two sets of name brand strings is too good a deal to pass up!

14. steveTM

steveTM

Jun 5, 2010
    yeah i mainly use Ernie Ball, but there too much $$, i was runny low on cash, broke a string, went to GC sad. found cheap strings GOT TWO PACKS :D:hyper:

15. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021