1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Black Nylons on the Viola Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I want to try black nylons, but do not want to try and put on a set with an E at .115 or up. GHS has a set at .105, but they are 34". Violas are 30". What is the risk of trying to put these on the viola?
    Jack

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The violin basses actually use a 32" set of strings, I'd put long scale strings on it with no hesitation. Just trim the ends to leave about 4 finger widths past the tuner, and go for it.

I've used long scale strings on both 30" and 32" basses with no problems. The only thing you might run into is that if you cut the strings rather short, the cut end might not fit down into the hole in the tuner. Some tuners have rather narrow slots to access that hole. Remedy - leave the string a bit longer so you're leaving some of the taper at the end. The smaller diameter of the string should fit down into the tuner.

You can always cut it SHORTER!

3. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Thanks Pilgrim