1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS black tapewounds...a pleasant surprise.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Mar 27, 2015.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Just put a set on this.
    28sbndw.
    Serious thump!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    We demand better pictures. Pffft! :D

I very much like GHS tapewounds.

fretlessguy likes this.
  3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I gotta a set on my P Bass and I really like them and they are NOT "dud & thud". But, coated strings have slight grounding issues and our fingers/body do not ground out when touching the strings.

4. AndyII

AndyII

Mar 13, 2014
    Washington
    Good to hear! I have a set that I picked up somewhere, but I haven't tried them out yet. I have a small stable of P Basses that have never seen tape wounds. The only tape wounds I've tried are La Bellas on a short scale. Interestingly, they sound nice, but I have crazy intonation issues.

5. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Likely due to the Labella tapes being of considerably larger gauge than typical roundwounds. Are your Labellas 60-115 or 50-105?

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have had no grounding issues so far but...
    The difference between these strings and whatever was on this bass is definitely night and day, though.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I put my first set of GHS tapewounds on a 5 string bass only because I wanted that all black look. I was floored by the sound and feel of these strings and one of my basses is always strung with a set of them.

Root 5 likes this.
  8. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    They are great strings. The first time I used them was on a 67' Guild Starfire in 68 or 69. Been using them ever since.
    Just wish they would make them in short scale.

9. AndyII

AndyII

Mar 13, 2014
    Washington
    They are the 60-115. That on a short scale probably makes it tough. In the lower octaves, not so bad. Up the neck though, it gets a little weird.

10. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    You're likely aware of it: Labella sell a 50-105 set of tapewounds. What instrument are you having intonation issues with?

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I use them on my 5 string. Only gripe is they don't offer
    a Hi-C set. More pliable than Labella TAPES and more affordable.
    Great for tapping and solo chording.

12. AndyII

AndyII

Mar 13, 2014
    Washington
    It's a Squier Jaguar SS. I'm thinking I will need to play with saddle adjustment.

It will be interesting to see how the long scale GHS tapewounds work out. I'm thinking the P Bass I'm currently building will be their testbed.

13. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Yes. You may have to adjust the height of your saddles too - it can affect intonation.

Short scale instruments tend to be a little more finicky to intonate. But you should be able to get the Jaguar pretty much bang on. A Hofner on the other hand....:D

14. Wondering if the tapewounds are very different tonally?

15. I have a 5 string fretless bass with a set of them. They give a "clean" sound that is very smooth. The E and B strings are balanced with the others and do not overpower them in volume. They can best be described as just plain fun to play. They record well. The B string feels different from the rest in both tone and touch, but you get used to it. They look good as well against that black ebony board. :D
    One thing that makes them different from the rest of the tapewound pack: They come in regular gauges: .50-.105 with a .125 B, so you do not have to tale a file to widen any slots (I hear the new D'Addario tapes are similar in gauges). Don't know if it is true or not, but I read somewhere they are made overseas (Europe).

16. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I believe GHS are made in Battle Creek MI.

nerkoids and Root 5 like this.
  17. Yes, this is true. It was one of those internet rumors that I heard, and while it is most likely false it is not beyond the realm they may have been imported at one point in time. Maybe Jon can fill us in on that.

18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    The tapewound strings are the only string of ours that we have made as a private label to our specs, mainly because it's a lot of inventory in black nylon tape for 5 strings (since those are the only two sets we offer in a tapewound). So yeah, the tapes aren't made here, but they're our specs. Everything else is wound about 30' from my office.

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I received them in the mail due to an error at seller's end.
    A mere mistake, or fate?
    I still can't get over how good they sound and can't wait to play out with them on my bass.

20. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    This is interesting. I've read they're groundwounds under the tape, and a couple of posters here described the fact in terms of "they're Brite Flats with nylon wrapped on them". I had a feeling it wasn't so simple because 1), I couldn't easily identify which Brite Flat string corresponds to which tapewound on your tension chart (I didn't expect them to have the exact unit weight - the nylon should account for a fraction of the mass I suppose - but still), and 2) the brites are often described as being fairly stiff, the tapes not so.
    I've being considering your tapes for a project (sub-short scale) that would have bass strings operating as less than their intended tension, and I was afraid a "stiff" string would offer more resistance to plucking (not terribly important to me) but have wobbly pitch (deal breaker) under those conditions. If, nylon aside, they turn out to be different from the Brite Flats (which I've heard good things and am curious about, just not for the above project) I'd feel more confident about trying them.