Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS Boomers questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stubbs, Jul 25, 2004.

1. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    i'm looking at string sets for 6 string basses, and i've come across Rotosound SB 66's (which i've been using for years), DR Hi Beams, and GHS Boomers. I'd like to try something new instead of Rotosound, and DR Hi beams are too expensive for me. It seems that Boomers are used by many famous bassists, but they get marginal reviews. any comments? :help:

2. I love the sound of new boomers. The problem is that they go dead fast.

3. Go dead fast and tend to have a plain tone. I like my strings to have characteristics. Low riders are bright and harsh feeling, Rotosounds are extremely bright, Fender nickels have a lot of bass to them. To me, Boomers can just be classified as ordinary sounding.

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotos and Boomers are very different. If you like the sound
    of bright stainless strings, you probably will be disappointed
    with Boomers. Over the years I've tried just about everything,
    but always keep coming back to Rotosound. Great strings,
    great people.

Slug

5. I don't like these strings on most basses that I have owned but for a Fender Custom Shop Vintage Precision they are the perfect (almost) string. This bass has a one piece maple neck and a swamp ash body so it is a very bright sounding bass almost too bright. But the duller sounding Boomers are just the ticket to calm this beast down and sound broken in right out of the pack, but yes they do not last as long as some other strings. I have recently tried some of the new TI Superalloys on this bass and am very impressed, just have to wait and see how long they last since they are almost twice the price. Both are great if you are looking for warmer sounding nickel roundwound strings.

6. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    yeah i've been using rotosound swing bass 66's on my 4 string for years and i've always loved them, so at only 6 dollars more a set than boomers i guess i'll just stay with them. from what i've heard i like the sound of boomers, but if they need to be changed often then i won't get them. my RS's last about 2 months a set :D