1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Boomers! The Difference!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

I'm not in the strings section a lot, but, today, I replaced my discustingly horrid D'adario's off, to put on some GHS's I picked up today. Oh my god! It's like night and day. They don't rip up my fingers! It's 40-95, and I like the lighter gauges. IMO, I've had a set of Swing 66, and personally, I like the Boomers better, but IMO. Anyone else love their boomers?

-Arpeggi

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I just put D'Addarios on. They feel rough. Do they ever smooth out?

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Not in my experience.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

You bet I do! I don't put anything else on my Ric.

5. Misterpogo

Misterpogo

Sep 8, 2005
    Sounds like a dream on my MIM-J

6. I used the boomers for about 8 years (in the 1990's). Liked them, but had a short life span. They do sound good. I think DR fatbeams offer a similar tone (use them now). But, it's been along time since I played the boomers.

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Nothing but boomers for my American Jazz!

8. Dr Illing

Dr Illing

Feb 4, 2008
    San Francisco
    I really only use GHS and D'addario when they don't have the gauge of Fender strings that I like.

I think GHS are kinda cheapies.

9. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    i guess we all have our preferences, because i love GHS boomers as heavy as possible (55-115 or whatever it is for me!)

10. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    which D'Addarios in particular are you speaking of ? SS or Nickels ?
    I'm a long time DR player & just picked up a couple packs of the EXL-220 Nickels,, & they are by far smoother than anything DR puts out, ( but admittedly haven't tried the Sunbeams ), & like the EXL's alot ( so far anyways ) :cool:

but may have to try some of the Boomers as well :cool:

11. no, because I dont have any sand in my vag unlike somebody around here (jokes). I've tried many other strings, and I love the Di' Addario's. They barely stretch, and keep their tuning very well. Even with the Pro-steels that I use, I never have any problems with the string texture. :meh:

12. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Never liked boomers. Gave em a fair shot and just don't like them, they dig more into my fingers than my spector strings did, and went dead quicker than ernie balls. They're way down on my list.

13. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I forgot, but they just felt rough to play on.

14. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    :crying: (jk :D)

15. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I'm wondering if anybody's had any experience with the GHS Sub Zero Bass Boomers? I've used Bass Boomers a lot over the years and even though they have good tone, they do seem to die off rather quickly. I was poking around on JustStrings.com and noticed these Sub Zeros and read the description that says that the strings have gone through their "DCT cryogenic freezing process" and that it's a special treatment. The difference in price between the Subs and the normal Boomers isn't much, but I'm wondering if the difference in tone is. I'm willing to give them a spin, but I'm curious if anyone else has played/heard them.

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    You may want to look into Dean Markley BlueSteels. They are the original "cryogenic" strings, I think.

17. +1 on blue steels
    they came on a bass i got from a fellow forum member in august, and after playing every day i don't get tired of them months later

18. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I've got them on my Jaguar right now... pretty good but they're starting to become a little dead and it's only been 2 months. But I definitely like them for the price. I also like Fender SuperBass.

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've never liked ghs boomers. they just don't last very long. i used to use d'addario and am about to go back with them again.

i only quit using them because the local guitar shop rarely got them in.

i will never use DR again. I hated them. I did get stainless though, but for the price I think you can beat them.

20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I love Boomers. To my ears, they have the nicest bottom end, plus they are more flexible than D'Addarios. They can make a harsh sounding bass sound warm and musical, while D'Addarios can "wake up" a too-mellow, blah instrument.
    I do like DRs, too... but I still think I prefer Boomers, when it comes to nickel plated strings.
    For some reason, the smoothness/roughness of strings on my fingers has never been an issue at all. Never really worried about it.