1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS Boomers vs DR Fat Beams!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Jan 16, 2019.

1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    What are the differences/similarities tonally and feel between these two strings? Am looking for a punchy, warm midrange with some nice top end to really make my (future) geddy lee jazz bass sizzle with funky power! Thanks

2. Boomers = NPS = "punchy, warm midrange" (Round Core Boomers are better for being "warm" than the regular Boomers).
    Fat Beams = SS = "nice top end to really make the GLJ sizzle".

The regular Boomers (hex core) are noticeably stiffer-feeling than the Fat Beams (round core). The Round Core Boomers fall halfway in between for stiffness/flexibility.

3. You might also want to try the Dunlop Super Bright Nickels for what you're looking for.

4. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Ha. I am a DDT player but have used Boomers since the 80s...go with Boomers for what you describe you are looking for tonally.
    Rock on.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
    • GHS Bassics (NPS) = A bit brighter than the Boomers, and not quite as stiff.
    • GHS Round Core Boomers = A bit more flexible than the regular Boomers and warmer and smoother in tone.
    • DR Pure Blues (nickel alloy) = Warmer than the Fat Beams but still brighter than the Boomers. Being round core, they're also more flexible than the Boomers or the Bassics.
    • Dunlop Super Bright Nickel (NPS) = Small hex core means almost as flexible/supple as the DR round cores. Crunchy mids with a snappy top end.

Arthur U. Poon and Lee Moses like this.
  5. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    which out of all the choices, the fat beams, boomers, bassics, pure blues etc do u think is the best all round and best suits the tone im after? thanks so much

6. The only way to answer that question is try them for yourself as string choices are a very personal matter.

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    As with any string, your individual bass makes a difference. I've tried both on my Rick 4003, and liked Fat Beams better.

Arthur U. Poon and RumbleMan3 like this.
  8. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    why did u like them better? what kind of tones are you after? do u think they fit what i am after or are any of the other choices better?

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There's no short-cut to buying a bunch and testing yourself.

I know buying a bunch strings is an expensive gamble. I suggest leaving them as long as possible (especially if you are installing on a 2+2 or 3+1 headstock), wind them right down to the bottom of the tuning peg, (crimp 90 degrees before cutting if you absolutely must cut), and being really careful not to wreck the silks so you can resell them here if you don’t like them

Arthur U. Poon and mdogs like this.
  10. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Heavy gauge Chromes. Why not? :banghead:

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Over here in the States, GHS Boomers are one of the more affordable sets of bass strings, and they're found at pretty much every music store.

I would buy the least expensive set you're interested in, and give them a try. Boomers are my favorite NPS roundwound, and I highly recommend them. However, IMO they're not the brightest sounding set of NPS roundwounds out there.

In fact, I don't personally rate Boomers as very bright at all, but they have the strongest low mids of the sets I'm familiar with, and IMO those low mids really help in a live playing environment. Their low end is really fat sounding as well. For me, their lack of shrill high end is what I love about them.

I haven't tried any of DR's or Dunlop's strings, but I have lots of experience with D'Addario XLs, and Ernie Ball Slinkys. In the ranking of brightness I'd say XLs are the brightest, Slinkys a close second.

I hope this helps.

RumbleMan3, Linnin and michael_t like this.
  12. This is why I've recommended the GHS Bassics as a good place to start. Slightly brighter than the Boomers and not quite as stiff, not to mention they're very affordable at $13.57. They're GHS' answer to D'A XL Nickels.

13. I love DR DDT's. They're easily my favourite string, although GHS Bass Boomers are excellent. The GHS strings sound great and are usually quite a bit cheaper than DR strings.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    This thread is perfect for me, because I used GHS Boomers exclusively for about 25 years, and then switched to Fat Beams, which are now my favorite strings. The thing I liked about Boomers: they lose the "piano string clank" very quickly. In fact, many people complain that they go dead *too* fast, but that was what I liked about them. What I like about Fat Beams: I perceive them to have more mass, and they are louder, unplugged. They have more "guts" than Boomers. They are more flexible. They take a lot longer to die, but even when they're not completely dead they have a warmer sound (to me) than other stainless steel strings (like Rotosound Swing Bass, for example).
    I do like Pure Blues for one bass because they are a little less scooped than the Fat Beams. They seem about as flexible to me.
    I've tried one set of GHS Round Core Boomers and I really, REALLY liked them... but they're hard to get unless you buy online, which I usually avoid... Fat Beams and Pure Blues are in all of the stores near me.

15. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    i like this very helpful with your descriptions too thanks a lot! I like what you said about the fat beams are brighter than the boomers, have a bit more 'guts' as you said, flexible, last a bit longer, and still a bit warmer than rotos, another great string, which i think would have been JUST a bit too bright for me and dont last long enough.

I am interested in what you said about the pure blues having a bit more mids, and i also heard they are a bit warmer than the fat beams too, so both thses options sound really great to me! I would love to hear more about these strings thankyou!

16. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    also a lot of people hate the red silk on the tips of ghs and roto 66s and stuff but i personally think they look super cool on a fender bass especcially on the geddy lee sig. drool

do the dr FatBeams or PureBues have the red tips on them? if not is there a way i can get it on them or nah?

not a deal breaker or anything, just like the looks. was curious

17. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You're welcome. And just for a little background: When I switched from Boomers, I had also happily rediscovered flat wound strings. What I was looking for in a round wound string was the STRONG fundamental and impact of flat wounds, but with more sustain, and one that "sang." (For "thud", flat wounds are the easy choice.) I'm primarily a finger style blues, jazz, folk and rock musician. No Marcus Miller influence, for example (although I do appreciate what he does). That led me to the Fat Beams, which is ironic because, at the time, they were DR's Marcus Miller signature set! Anyway, the perceived additional mass I referred to gave them that heavy low mids impact I was looking for.
    By the way, my impression of GHS Round Core Boomers was that they were warmer, PLUS they had a tiny bit of the distinct percussive "click" attack of flat wounds, which is awesome.
    Also, Fat Beams and Pure Blues do not have red silk.
    Good luck!

RumbleMan3 and Arthur U. Poon like this.