Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS Boomers vs Progressives

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, May 13, 2001.

1. Yesterday I replaced a set of Boomers with Progressives on my Roscoe Beck 5-string. Gauge is M8000 series, .045 to .135"

Each string was cut to 4.0 inches longer than the farthest edge of its tuning machine. This allows for two complete wraps around the cylinder and a very easy and clean installation.

I don't hear any big difference in tone or loudness between the two but the Progressives do have a few advantages over the Boomers. The Progressives come in taper wound (Saddle Hugger) design for both the B and E strings. If I wish hard enough, I think I can hear an improvement in sustain and clarity on these two strings.

I had to raise the saddles on both the B and E to compensate for the lower installed height of the Saddle Hugger strings. GHS designed these string so the core is exposed and contacts directly the bridge saddles. With the Boomers, the wrap wire contacted the saddles, so the strings rode much higher.
    Intonation and truss rod settings did not require adjustment, so I am assuming the string tension is similar.

The Progressives use nickel Alloy 52 which is highly magnetic and should be easy on the frets. The strings were nicely silked, and specifically designed for Through the Bridge stringing on the RB5. They have a nice feel for roundwounds, and this feel is the same as the Boomer series. Emotionally, I like solid Alloy 52 better than nickel plated steel.

2. systemsdevelope

systemsdevelope smile and have coffee !

Sep 17, 2003
    The Center of the USA
    Hello, so have you stayed with taperwounds, or changed brands on your Roscoe Beck?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Nice thread revivial!

I actually have a set of Progresssives on the way from Bass Strings Online, can't wait to try them. I went with them I wanted something brighter than normal nickels, but not rough like stainless steel. These are supposed to be WAAY brighter than Boomers, and a little brighter than other nickels. Should have them today! The dark purple silks and exposed core are sweet looking :)

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Didnt notice any diff sound wise to them when I tried both. So I just stuck with the boomers while useing Ghs strings. Not really a big fan of taperwound.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I got them on last night....I really expected them to be brighter. They don't really seem any brighter than the DR Sunbeams I normally use. I do love the taper design though, works great with my bridge. I normally can't use a .130 non tapered, but with these I'm using a .135!

Overall they are good strings. The only real difference I see with them over other strings is the extreme taper.