1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by downstairs, May 10, 2010.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Hey guys, I haven't been on the forums in a long time. I'm just getting back into bass playing for a band after about 2.5 years. The band I just got into plays in Drop-B tuning. Before I get the onslaught of "just tune to B-standard and intonate it", I already tune to B F# B E. I found a set of GHS Boomers at the guitar store my brother works at, I'm currently using the size of 50-115 (.50, .70, .95, .115) and I really like them. I was talking to one of the older guys that sets up guitars at the shop, and from what he was telling me, GHS dosen't do a 2nd pass on the strings after they are wound, so they are harder on the frets than normal since they are not as smooth.

My question is this: Is there any truth to this? If so, is there another string company that makes a comparable size set, without having to go custom? I really like the spacing of the strings, and the tone they produce is okay.

BTW, my current setup is basic: 1970 Fender P-bass, repro neck with frets, duncan basslines pickup, and an ampeg BA115 combo (1x15 w/horn).

2. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    Ive never heard this before. I dont find them to be any harder on the frets than any other nickel round wound.

3. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    It's just something an older dude said. I really enjoy the spacing, on them, and I like the tone they give out. If this isn't a problem, I'll just keep using them.

4. I have been playing with GHS boomer branded strings now for the better part of 2 years on one of my basses(main bass that I use for every show and the one that gets 90% of the play time) And I haven't noticed any significant wear on my frets.I love the boomers and I think they are of fair quality for the price,I will continue to use them regardless of the rumor.Have you noticed much wear on your frets?

5. Hey dude, you should be perfectly fine. I have used GHS Boomers for a LONG time and never had any noticable fret wear. Boomers are my go-to touring strings. They sound good and they are relatively cheap(at least compared to the DRs i usually string with).

In drop tuning though... i tend to err on the lighter gague side... i play in C standard (with occasional drop-B) in various projects and i don't go thicker than 45-110, and often times i'm fine with 40-105.

In any case, keep em.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    That makes no sense to me. If I feel a ghs boomer and a rotosound string the rtotosound is noticeable rougher feeling. Rorosound roundwound strings while not a good idea of fretless basses with rosewood fretboard, still arent rough enough to cause premature fret or fretboard wear unless one is very heavy handed with fretting imi. So ghs strings arfe going to be much less abrasive imo. I ujse rotosounds as main string choice and ghs boomers as a nice alternative change of pace.

7. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you guys for this. I'm used to using EB's 45-105 when I would tune to drop-C tuning. I really wanted to find a set of strings that was 45-110, but I couldn't and I tried these. I really like the tight feeling, and I get way less fret buzz now.

Ronbeast: I haven't really noticed much fretwear on this yet, since the neck is bran-damn new. For an all-out practice/show I've only played it 5 or 6 times in the past year. Last practice was the first timed I used the boomers.

8. Rotosounds might as well be sandpaper in string form. I bought a set once and they chewed my fingers up to the point where I was actually bleeding. THAT SUCKED. Now it's nothing but D'addario Pro Steels. They feel smooth as butter and sound like a pissed off piano. Love 'em.

9. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I'd love some pro-steels, but I can't find a set that has the sizing I want. My favorite set would be a 50, 70, 90, 110. If it comes down to it, I'll try ordering them one at a time.