GHS Boomers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by takdriver, Apr 21, 2012.

1. takdriver

takdriver

Apr 15, 2012
    What do you guys think of GHS Boomers on a P-Bass? for Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc. All around.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Not a fan, personally. They sound like old, dead rounds but not in a good way.

If you like GHS and want a jack-of-all trades string, check out their Pressurewounds.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    +1 Either PWounds if you want a more versatile string or PFlats if you want that good old fashioned vintage PBass thump.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Maybe to you, they do. I know a guy who uses them on his Stingray5 and I've never heard a better bass sound.

I like the way they sound, but I don't use them. If you're looking for a brighter sound, they aren't going to do it for you.

5. Dan Lakin, they should be good enough for anybody. Lakland ships their basses with their own branded strings, but they are made by GHS.

I tried a few different sets and wound up back to the boomers, nothing else made the bass speak the same way.

6. GHS boomers get through their "zingy" stage in a few days, and settle in for a nice neutral sound for up to a year.

If you're looking for that "zingy" tone for your bass to last, they are probably not the best value. Myself, I prefer them after they've gone through that stage. I've been using Boomers since the late 1980's, and am never disappointed by their consistency, quality, and longevity. Not to mention that they cost less than many of the "high-brow" brands.

7. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I like GHS Boomers a lot! Got them on my P bass. First off, they feel good to the touch. They don't feel dry, scratchy or grabby like some strings. Second, for me the tension is perfect. Not a loose feeling string but not too stiff either. Third, they sound good. Not dark but not too bright either. Very even sounding. Fourth, the cost is very reasonable. Fact is I picked up another set as a spare today.

Are they the ultimate string for me? That I don't know. All I know is that right now they are working very well for me.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Lakland strings are nothing like Boomers. Just because GHS makes them does not mean they are Boomers. GHS makes Ken Smith strings too, and they are the opposite of Boomers. Also, Dan Lakin has nothing to do with Lakland anymore.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I like ghs boomers as very good inexpensive string for bass. Good alternate string. Not either of my top 2 faves, but ok for 3rd or 4th choice to me. I do use their guitar boomer 9's for my guitars as only string for them though.

10. BowserBass

BowserBass

Jan 18, 2012
    I like em! then again i like fresh strings....all of them

11. +1 on that. I love the zing and the Boomers lose it pretty quick. I use EB Slinkys now. Similar sound, same price range but the "fresh" seems to last a lot longer.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Man, I was rocking a set of Boomers on my '66 P Bass during the 70s. They sure did the trick for me! Big, bold and aggressive. It was THE classic rock sound! :cool:

MM

13. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Inactive

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Would Boomers sound good on a Ibanez RB650 PJ bass?

Shaun

14. I don't mind Boomers at all as something a little different. As others have said, they seem to lose that fresh sound quicker than a lot of strings. Back when I played a P-bass I really liked Boomers on it though, it seemed to really give that sort of P sound. Kind of a thud with a little bit of pop to it if that makes sense.

I'm more into a J sound these days and wouldn't put them on my Jazz personally, it would kill some of the aggressive sound.

Still, I generally like them, just not my cup of tea anymore.

15. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Yes, they will. The truth is, any modern string you put on the bass will sound 'good.'

GHS, D'Addario, Labella, DR, Rotosound, Dean Markley...on and on...branded strings will sound 'good.'

16. I've used Boomers since the 1980s and always liked them. I did recently switch to D'Addarios just for kicks. I kind of like them.

17. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I love them, and have used them for years.
    To some people, they lack "zing"... to me, it makes them sound less scooped. They have a really nice, powerful sound in the low mids. Also, I agree-- they are fantastic on a Stingray (in my case, a Stingray 5).
    But as someone else said, all modern strings will sound "good"... you just have the option of getting picky about what you want for a given bass. This is my current layout:
    Fender Jazz: GHS Boomers
    Stingray: GHS Boomers
    Fender P-Bass: GHS Precision Flats (16 years old)
    Fender P-Bass (fretless): GHS Brite Flats (at least 20 years old)
    SX P-Bass copy: DR Fat Beams
    Fender Jazz (MIM): D'Addario Chromes (7 years old)

18. apkbass

apkbass

Feb 26, 2012
    Gotta love these strings. I use them on my Jazz and Ibanez ATK.

19. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I just tried Boomers again, and I am totally loving them. It seems my pendulum has swung back to a hex core feel.

20. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    I've tried both the GHS Pressurewounds, and Ken Smith Compressors. Both made by GHS, but in my humble opinion, they are not the same at all. The compressors sounded and felt different to me.