1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS "Brite Flat" strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Has anyone tried these? It seems like GHS is trying to bridge the gap between flat and roundwound strings. My local store sells them, but I can't remember anyone talking about them.

Here's a picture...

[​IMG]

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Do a quick search, I found a bunch of positive hits when I wanted info on em - they're groundwounds I think.

3. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a pair. I guess they were not as brite as I thought they would / should be. Rotosound Monels were much brighter and less thumpy in my opinion. The GHS were really kind of dull.

4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Sound like flats to me,I think GHS makes a decent string,try out their compression wounds,smooth almost like a flat but more punch than one BUT less bite than a roundwound, JUST'A RIGHT!:bassist:

5. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    CHROMES !!!! nice and brite but not TOO TOO brite!
    JUST'A RIGHT!

6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I had a fretless that ALWAYS had Brite Flats. Loved 'em!

7. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    These GHS strings are not a new item. I used them on my 1973 and 1975 Gibson L9S Ripper Basses. I always got great sound from them.

Peace Out

8. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    they work well for me. i used to use roundwounds, but on my g&l all the rounds i tried were too bright for my tastes. the brite flats don't sound like flats to me as much as roundwounds with mellow highs.

they have a lot of tension, which some people like and some don't. they're not as smooth under the fingers as true flats, but they get smoother with age. they last a really long time.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have 5 basses, 3 of them strung with Brite Flats. Maybe I've been using them too long: when I pick up a bass with round wounds it doesn't sound right. Brite Flats seem to last quite a while, too.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    This whole matter was discussed here about... oh, a week ago. :meh: The search engine is good to use.
    Anyway, one more time: Brite Flats are not flats but groundwounds (roundwounds polished to a nearly flat feel). They should not be compared to Chromes, TIs or any other flatwounds. Different animal.

11. Yamahammer

Yamahammer

May 3, 2006
    I just put a Medium set on my RBX. The string tension is much higher than the stock strings that came on my Yamaha (I like the higher tension). The feel is also much smoother, I don't get a whole lot of "finger noise". Sound wise, they are not as quite as bright as roundwounds and seem to resonate a bit deeper. Sustain is good. I like them FWIW coming from a newbie wannabe bassist :ninja: .

12. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:No wonder they are marking up my new fretboard on my new bass. I thought they were flats. I could have swore I felt little burs.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I put a set on my EBMM Stingray 8 months ago. They were ok, nothing special. Not very bright IMHO, considering Fender flats sounded like round wounds without string noise. They were thuddy, but not a whole lot of note definition.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I like Brite Flats a lot. Never had a problem with them.

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I keep getting the Brite Flats and the Pressurewounds confused. One is flatter than the other. I own both, and I think I have the pressurewounds on my P bass and the brite flats on my fretless. The back of the Brite Flats package explains the difference between the two, they both occupy the middle ground between flats and rounds.

If the Brites are what are on my fretless, they are awesome - they still give some of the roundwound mwah tone while allowing me to EQ some bass and low mids - I hate a really bright zingy tone on any bass, and with normal flats the only way to get a good mwah (on my amp anyway) is to boost the treble.

The pressurewounds on my P are also good - regular rounds are too zingy, and I've never been able to get into flats, maybe I just haven't tried the right ones, but I find them too tense/tight (Fenders are the only ones I tried I think).

Whichever is which, I don't know, but they're both great strings, and I will buy more of both - so in six months to a year when I change strings, I can let you know which is which. :)

16. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I've used or tried GHS Brite Flats, and Precision flat wounds. The Brite Flats, even though not technically a flat wound, sound feel and look like a flat wound. They are not bright at all. GHS Precision Flats seem brighter that the Brite Flats.