GHS Brite-Flats (108 - 49)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGod, Sep 24, 2004.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, for the first time, I decided to try Flatwounds. I had heard that they were dull, and even though I normally like a bright sound, I decided I would try them anyway. So I go to my music store, and see a package of GHS Brite Flats. I figured great, I get to try flats, and they'll still have the bright tone I like. That's what the package said at least. I went home, put the strings on, and the first thing I noticed was they were very hard to play. I tried to do a slide, and my finger kept stopping while I was sliding. It was getting stuck I guess. I always though flats would have a smooth texture, and would be perfect for nice smooth slides. Also, the strings were not bright at all, as was advertised on the package. They were completely dead, right out of the package. So is this a normal thing for flatwounds, or was it just the GHS's? Has anyone tried these particular strings? How did you feel about them? Anyway, I was just a little upset that I spent a lot of money, and ended up having to change strings againd after only three days. :( Any resposes welcome! :)

Graeme :bassist:
  2. The GHS flats were IMHO the worst strings I've ever used. Very rough surface--almost like roundwounds, only more pitted, and not a very good sound.

Get some Labella Deep Talkers or D'addario Chromes.....these are good flats!!
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    flats will generally have a "dead" sound, if you are used to bright rounds. It's a different world, really.
  4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yep - if GHS Brite Flats are truly brighter than other flats, I'm not going to try other flats anytime soon - the deaness comes with the flatness. That said, I do like Brite Flats for what they are.