1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Brite Flats question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trothwell, Apr 23, 2015.

1. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I just put on (for the first time) a new set of GHS Brite Flats. I realize strings, especially flatwound (which these kinda sorta are), can take some time and use to break in, but...

The E string sounds a fair bit different than the others. I play on the G, D, and A strings, and it all sounds consistent. Then I get to the E string, and it's just kind of a dead thud, boomy sound. Not necessarily bad in and of itself, but it sounds remarkably unlike the other strings.

Bad E string? Or does this just need to settle for a while? Never having used these strings before, I'm not sure what to think. I really like the G-D-A strings sound. :)

djaxup likes this.
  2. shorty4life

shorty4life

Dec 22, 2013
    I absolutely hated the Brite Flats for the first month they were on my bass, for the same reasons as you mentioned. But in time, they sounded noticeably better (but not really bright at all!). Eventually swapped them because i didn't like how grippy they felt...

ColdEye and trothwell like this.
  3. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    It's normal for the E string to sound different from the others. They even out with time.

Matt R and trothwell like this.
  4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    As been said, the E string does tend to sound a bit different than the others, but will even out with time.

If it doesn't, let me know and I'll take care of it.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    How is it even slightly acceptable for a "set" of strings to have one string that doesn't sound like the others?? I found the same thing with a set of Ken Smith Slick Rounds. A through G sound perfect. E is completely dead. I can't use them.

6. The strings mellow out some after settling in but I wouldn't call the E strings completely dead. I'm not sure if the set you have is actually defective or if your impression of the strings just isn't meeting your preference. I've never been disappointed with the tonal balance from my Brite Flats compared to other brands' sets I've tried.

7. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Thanks Jon! Have you considered putting information like this on the string packaging / product web pages? So that new users know what potentially unexpected issues to expect?

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    At this point no, mainly because with an online resource like Talkbass (and the internetz), it probably hasn't been addressed. But it's definitely something I can look into (and would be a good reason to get new packaging designed, as that one is just so. damn. old).

djaxup likes this.
  9. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Playing on these strings solo more today, the consistency of tone across the strings still isn't what I would expect, but what really matters is how does it work in a full musical context. Here's a quick demo:

Not too polished of a perfomance, just first-takes of me jamming with myself -- but I think the point comes across.

miles'tone likes this.
  10. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Sounds great to me! Are you still using them? How did they settle in?
    Thanks for the demo btw.

11. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    There's likely another issue. Flats, especially the large E and B strings can sound dull if they're twisted and/or not properly witness-marked during mounting. I've had this happen many times and ended up with exactly the phenomenon the OP described. The solution? Tune down the string and remove it from the tuner, leaving it still mounted at the bridge end. Pull the string straight, ensuring that it can rotate freely at the bridge end, not impeded by the saddles etc. Push the ball out a bit to help with this, then remount being very careful to not twist the string when attaching it to the tuner. Once you've got a bit of pitch, bend the string downward over the saddle to establish a good witness mark. Then tune up to pitch. Do all this and a dull flat can suddenly come to life, matching its buddies--even on first mounting.

djaxup likes this.
  12. I recently talked to a guy who was having dead spots, and then he told me on all frets with the E string. It turned out he just needed a better break angle from the nut to the tuner.
    Try to get the string down as far as it will go on the tuning post.

nerkoids and Linnin like this.