GHS Brite Flats vs. D'Addario Halfround

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beate_r, Apr 28, 2012.

1. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Hi there,

recently i have learned that the GHS brite flats are actually halfround strings. Does anybody know how the sets differ in sound? I know the D'Addarios.

THX

Beate

2. ChasBass

ChasBass

Dec 15, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    I found them to sound very similar. I end up going back to GHS since they don't die as quickly for me. My next set will be to try out the GHS Pressure Wounds.

3. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Thanks - important info - longevitiy is important for me.

The pressure wounds are nice strings - a bit brighter than the halfrounds. Unfortunately the short scale version is a lot lighter than the long scale.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've never played the GHS strings, but the D'addario half-rounds are great strings.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's been a very long time, but I used D'Addario HR-72 (the original nickle wound half-rounds) in '77 until about '79. My new StingRay came from the factory with GHS Brite-Flats and I really liked the way they felt and the sound. They had more of the defined note to them than the D'Addarios and were more flexible in similar gauges. Haven't used either since about '82 when I decided they're both a poor compromise. I'm in a position to have basses with flats and basses with rounds so I don't care for the trade-offs in modified rounds.

But between the two, I'd go with GHS again, and I'm a long-time D'Addario fan.

John

trothwell likes this.
  6. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Just some additional info: the first reply encouraged me to order 2 sets of GHS strings. Target instruments are the Epi Explorer of my son and the Epi EB-3 i recently showed in the shortscale section. That bass is being tuned one semitone below standard, and so string tension becomes an issue (lower tension > wider excursion > larger string height > less playing comfort). I hope things will improve due to the larger thickness of the GHS strings.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    IMHO - GHS Brite Flats are a bit "brighter" than the D'Addario Half-Rounds... The Current D'Addario Half Rounds are Pure Nickel outer windings while the Brite Flats are Nickel Iron Alloy which is a bit brighter than the warm pure nickel.

Also, the Pure Nickel Half-Rounds get smoother faster as the nickel is a softer metal than the Nickel Iron alloy. It may take a bit longer for the Brite-Flats to lose their rough edge from the machining process...

There are basically 5 (that I know of at least) "Half-Round" type strings available:

D'Addario Half Rounds = Pure Nickel Outer Winding (used to be Stainless Steel years ago)
    GHS Brite Flats = Nickel Iron Alloy (aka Alloy 52)
    Ken Smith Slick Rounds = Nickel Iron Alloy (aka Alloy 52). Tapered B string Available
    La Bella Deep Talkin Quarter Rounds = Like a half round but only 1/4 of the string is shaved off. Stainless Steel
    SIT Power Flats = Pure Nickel Outer Winding Half-Round

8. harpguy74

harpguy74

Oct 2, 2011
    quebec canada
    never tried the daddario half rounds but i did try the ghs. put them on for 30 minutes hated the sound likrd the feel. took them of and put them in my failed attemp string colection. i will put them on again one day to give them a second chance. i did the same with chromes and loves them the second time around.

9. Are there any taper core or contact core string in half round? I have never seen any but I know quite a few are available in a round wound.

10. I would like to clarify my previous post. I am interested to know if there are any 4 string sets with tapered or contact core ?

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Not in a Half Round... Closest thing is the B strings from Ken Smith on the Slick Rounds (half-rounds) and La Bella Quarter Rounds Tapered B string (quarter-rounds).

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021