GHS Brite Flats vs. DR LoRiders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I'm looking to try a different set of strings and I've heard good things about these two sets so I was hoping some of you who have tried them can give me your opinions and answer a few questions I have.

The Brite Flats intrigue me because I've never played flats before and I'd like to try. However, my only cabinet is a 15 inch Black Widow so even though they are called Brite Flats I am worried that all I will get out of them is pure mud. How will the two strings compare in terms of tone/brightness?

I am also on a budget so I want a string that will last a long time - what can I expect to last the longest?

Also, how do the nickel DRs compare to the steel ones in respect to the above categories?

Finally, will switching strings often lessen their lifespan?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  2. well what music do you play?

the flats, even though they are called brite flats are still going to be really boomy. i would advise you not to get these, but you have to try to see if you actually like them, i have DR lo-riders on ym bass and i love them, the bottom is really tight and percussive, and the top is pretty smooth, i use the stainless steel ones, the nickel is going to fell better but wont be as bright and will loose some clarity compared to the SS.
  3. When I jam with friends I will be playing mostly hard rock and my ideal tone would be a nice midrange growl, something like Stefan Lessard's tone from the song "I did it". I know I'll never achieve that with the gear I have, but hopefully I can at least get closer than I am now.

It sounds like the DR strings would be a good bet, and I'll probably try out the stainless steel strings as I've heard that they tend to last longer - hopefully I like how they sound.

It might be some time in between jam sessions for me, so if I were to buy a cheap set of strings and switch between them and the LoRiders depending on whether I was jamming or just practicing at home, would that lessen the lifespan of the strings?
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I've used DRs for quite some time, and find they last a very long time. Try to make a habit of washing your hands before you play. I think that would prolong the life of your strings more than taking them off to practice. I had an upright teacher that kept soap in his office, and made me wash before playing his bass. Of course, his strings cost more than my first car. And my second car, too....