Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ghs customer service is # 1

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by russ wheeler, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Hi everyone. Back in November I bought a set of GHS Progressives. When I put them on, the A string was dead. I emailed Ben Cole on the GHS website, and he got back to me right away. He wanted to know what gauge I had, and what the problem was with the A string. The same day that I gave him the info, he emailed me back to let me know that a "replacement set" was on the way. Yeah, not a single string, but a whole set. The new set was perfect. I usually go through strings pretty fast, but these are lasting quite good. I wanted to try out some flatwounds, so I ordered some GHS Brite flats. Any company that stands behind their product like that deserves our busuness. They sure added a loyal customer with me!!

2. Just had some GHS Brite Flats (med.)put on a little dano I traded for.So far I love em!!! Bear in mind this is my first ever set of flatwounds but the feel and the thumpiness are killer!My guitar player buddy is like "Whoa!Did you get a new amp??Why is it so loud?!" LOL

Great for playing oldies(I play a few.).

:)

3. I've never tried flats, so it should be interesting!!

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've been a loyal GHS user for over 20 years. They warranty the core of their strings. I used to save my broken strings, and send them in about twice a year. I always got a portion of them back as new replacements. Any string you send them will be stress-tested. If it fails, you get a replacement string. I don't know if they do it any more, but my band got a tour of the factory once. We just called when we were in town, and the plant manager gave us a little tour. Really interesting.

5. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I know this is way old, but I ran into the same problem. 3 weeks after installing a set of rounds one of them *completely* died, very odd. Contacted GHS online, the responded in 5 minutes and are sending a replacement. VERY nice.

6. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep, one of the good companies in the business, and always have been. Note however that "Brite Flats" are NOT a flatwound stirng. A true flatwound has a flat ribbon wire as the final wrap layer. Brite-Flats are much like D'Addario's Half-Rounds and Dean Markley's Ground Round Wounds. They are wrapped with round wire, just like any roundwound string, and then they grind, polish, buff, burnish, whatever the outer wrap to give a flat outside. They sound more like dead rounds than like any flats.

I used to use Brite Flats for a long time (as did Abe Laboriel and Joel DiBartolo), and I liked them for what they were. However, they're not going to give you a taste of flatwound sound. For that you'll need a set of Precision Flats.

jte

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I had the same experience with GHS. I bought some Brite Flats and when I took them out and strung them up I noticed they looked a little rusty. Turns out they probably sat on the shelf a little too long. I emailed GHS and within 10 minutes I had a reply from Jim Chowning asking me about the gauge, and explaining that a full replacement set would be on the way.

That is definitely the sort of company I want to deal with, and I never hesitate to recommend GHS to anyone.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    there are many positive stories about GHS customer sevice, and yet they seem to get a bad rap. Anyway, it's good that they came thru for you guys like they did, thats awesome!

9. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    Never dealt with their CS But I do like boomers their inexpensive and mellow nicely when you first put them on you get a bright tone. Then in about two weeks you start to develop a nice mellow tone that last a while.

10. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    +1 on that. Both my basses are strung with boomers that are around 6 months old, I play for at least an hour everyday, and they still sound fantastic.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I bought GHS boomers and the A sounds like a rubber band. Cant say that im going to customer service, but im not buying them anymore either. D'addario always seems to be a great pack.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I was always a hardcore LaBella user, but after some really shoddy CS I decided to make the switch to GHS. No reason why I chose GHS other than they were the only flats in stock at my local store. They sounded pretty good, but were very sticky.

I emailed GHS, telling them of the problem, and they sent me a replacement set which I got in the mail 2 days later. Very fast, very prompt, and very polite.

GHS customer service is among the best in the business.

I have a Precision bass strung with a set of Precision flats, very punchy, and very nice strings overall.

I didn't know they had a warranty on their string cores. I had 2 strings break on me (one was while the bass was in its case!) The E and the A. The E broke at the 7th fret and the A on the 3rd fret. I didn't mind too much, the latest set didn't have any problems at all and the tone is still awesome.