1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Endorsement....what strings to pick

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hitch, Aug 16, 2007.

1. hitch

hitch

Apr 29, 2006
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'addario
    My band recently got a string endorsement from GHS. I have never played their strings, but am definitely willing to start using them since they are free. I am not real familiar with their sounds and feel and was wanting to get some opinions. The band often gets compared to Wilco/Jayhawks to give you an idea of the style. I primarily play a 64 Jazz bass, mostly without a pic, and have been using Medium gauge Snake Oil Brand Nickel strings for the last 2 years. Previous to that I just used Fenders Nickel strings. Any ideas folks on what might be a good type of GHS strings that have a bright but fat tone.

2. wait, so u get to play with ANY AND ALL GHS strings :D?????

wow

or do u just get to used the typical roundwounds :confused:

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I like the Boomers a lot. They are fairly warm for roundwounds however.

I've never been able to find the B52's, but they are supposed to be about as bright as stainless, but with a nickel like feel.

I think Contact Cores are the brightest sting they make.

Try the B52's and post a review of them. I'm really intrigued.

4. hitch

hitch

Apr 29, 2006
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'addario

Any and all indeed!

5. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    I like GHS Boomers mediums.
    For warmer sound I would try Sub-Zero Boomers, pressure wounds and brite flats.
    I vote for sub-zeros

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like pressurewounds might suit you. I used Super Steels back when I had a GHS deal, good strings, good company.

7. I use the Precision flats. I think they sound great and have the right feel.

MM

8. Eric S

Eric S

Jul 19, 2005
    Paris, France
    If you have a fretless, try Brghtflats light gauge. Give em a few weeks to mellow out...I don't like them new.

The best feeling strings I've ever played and I've tried a lot.

9. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    i have never used GHS strings, so i'm not much help there, but i'm curious as to how you got this endorsement?

10. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    You owe it to yourself to at least try GHS Progressives. They are nickel roundwound that, IMO, last far longer than Boomers.

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    got a link to your band website? i love wilco and the jayhawks

12. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Boomers are my main squeeze when it comes to rounds. They sound a bit harpsichord-y at first, but are very balanced and pleasant sounding once they're broken in.