GHS fast fret.. what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by skaboy, Feb 21, 2003.

1. skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    Does any of you bassits out there uses GHS fast fret? I've been using it just over one year. I applying it everytime I play and everytime I finish but the thing is I don't notice any brighter sounds as it says on the tube. And I am not so sure about cleaning potential it has. Am I getting scammed by those advertising tricks?
  2. Well, it's meant to helps strings stay brighter longer, help keep the fretboard supple, and helps your fingers on the strings (more slidy).

I used to use it, but haven't lately. Not for any particular reason - I have a tube in the house!

I have a frined who plays geetar, he uses it a lot, but he as very acidic sweat and can go through getar strings very quickly - it helps his strings last longer!
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Judging from the smell it's (at least partly) lemon oil.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Isn't it silicone based? If it is, that's really bad for future refinishing.

Oh, and moved to Misc.
  5. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have VERY sweaty fingers when I play..I bought some to see if I couldnt squeeze more life out of the strings...It works okay..nothing amazing about it..I kind of use it as a string cleaner..

Every once in a while I'll use one of those medical alcohol pads that they use when they take blood and put it inside a cleaning cloth...kind of a "moist towlette" 10 times better...I know you arent supposed to use alcohol and all:D but hey, it works for me..

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've been using it for a few years now. I stopped for the past month or two because I misplaced the stuff. Even though I wipe down the Elixir strings after playing, over the past couple weeks I'd been less satisfied with how the strings felt (especially after a friend's 8YO daughter was strumming my bass a few days ago as I was packing up my rig).

So I picked up a new tube of FastFret and cleaned the strings and fingerboard. The bass feels better now.