1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS Fatties?`

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkster, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was in GC at lunch today and they had a killer deal on GHS Fatties, 20 bucks for three sets!!, I couldn't pass it up! Anybody use these? Does anybody like them they are a funky gauge 44-106 but I took them anyway, I couldn't believe a little over 6 bucks a set. Can't beat that.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have those on my Schecter, basically because I got the same deal (3 for 20) last Summer. Considering the Summer before that I got 2 for 20 I was psyched to see the price go down.

I'll be honest, I've only used 2 or 3 different kinds of strings, and other than roundwound / flatwound / bridge tapered I don't know what the differences are between strings (beyond gauge) so I couldn't tell you if EB Slinkies or DR strings were better / worse than the Fatties.

They seem to work for me, but I only play in my living room so it's not like I gave them the acid test or anything.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well with a 106 they deserve to be called Fatties!!!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That sounds like a short scale guage. Short scales tend to have a weaker E and the string is thickened up to compensate.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Mine are strung on a 34" scale bass, and I cut more than the length of my thumb off the strings to keep them to 2-3 winds around the tuning peg.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    There definitly long scale

7. I can't believe that I have never heard of these strings! Are they somewhat new? I have never seen them at any store before. At that price, I'd love to try them out.