Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS Fatties?`

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Funkster, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was in GC at lunch today and they had a killer deal on GHS Fatties, 20 bucks for three sets!!, I couldn't pass it up! Anybody use these? Does anybody like them they are a funky gauge 44-106 but I took them anyway, I couldn't believe a little over 6 bucks a set. Can't beat that.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have those on my Schecter, basically because I got the same deal (3 for 20) last Summer. Considering the Summer before that I got 2 for 20 I was psyched to see the price go down.

I'll be honest, I've only used 2 or 3 different kinds of strings, and other than roundwound / flatwound / bridge tapered I don't know what the differences are between strings (beyond gauge) so I couldn't tell you if EB Slinkies or DR strings were better / worse than the Fatties.

They seem to work for me, but I only play in my living room so it's not like I gave them the acid test or anything.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well with a 106 they deserve to be called Fatties!!!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That sounds like a short scale guage. Short scales tend to have a weaker E and the string is thickened up to compensate.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Mine are strung on a 34" scale bass, and I cut more than the length of my thumb off the strings to keep them to 2-3 winds around the tuning peg.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    There definitly long scale

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I can't believe that I have never heard of these strings! Are they somewhat new? I have never seen them at any store before. At that price, I'd love to try them out.