1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS Newbie

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Jul 14, 2018.

1. I usually use DR's (Fat beams 45-105) on my g&l jb2. I play mainly finger style. I want to try a new set of strings. I've heard good things about GHS strings and was wondering which set is a good place to start with GHS. I like a fat, round, tone with nice attack and zing. Also, I've been thinking about upping the gauge a bit. Sometimes it feels like I'm owning the strings and I need a little more resistance out of them. I've also been debating on a set of Kaliums but I need this set on my bass before a gig on the 20th.

What do you guys think?

ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Look at a heavier gage DR? Also, if you go with a heavier gage, you may need to re-slot your nut, adjust your bridge, and intonate.

Leave time for that.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  3. AddicLee

AddicLee

Apr 27, 2018
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. The Boomers 45-105 would be a good place to start, although they're more for the "fat round tone with a nice attack" than the "zing".

By the way, don't listen to those who try to keep you on the dark side. ;) You made the right move by choosing GHS! :thumbsup:

5. What's your experience with playing with heavier gauge strings? I've always played it safe with the 45-105's. What kind of differences can one expect?

6. Cool! I've heard a lot of great things about GHS but am always afraid of change.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Trust me, I've been on the dark side before. I like it better on this side. Fear not. ;):D

Linnin and MycooLeeyun like this.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Less fret buzz. Quicker response. Less bending, of course.

I use 50-110 on some basses. DR makes Pure Blues nickel rounds at that gage.

MycooLeeyun likes this.
  9. Thanks a lot for that info

10. All I know is that every time I had a new set of GHS Boomers on my bass, (1984 maybe) they were dead before the gig was done.

Seanto likes this.
  11. "Dead" as in "no more zing". The Boomers are not designed for zing lovers.

dagrev and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I feel you... this may help... try emulating your inner Billy Joel, singing to your current set of strings...

Aqualung60 and BrentSimons like this.
  13. First, let me ask you if you want to stick to stainless steel roundwounds? If so, GHS Super Steels would be your choice. If not, Alloy 52 has good tone and a nice feel. GHS Progressives are worthy of consideration. For NPS roundwounds, GHS Bass Boomers are the go anywhere and play anything Swiss Army Knife of bass strings. Plus they are available in a heavy 50-115 set.

michael_t likes this.
  14. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    GHS = Pressurewounds in my book. YMMV. :smug:

dagrev, Kukulkan61, michael_t and 3 others like this.
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've been a longtime Boomers and Brite Flats user, and Pressurewounds are my favorite strings made. However, IMO there's not a lot of "Zing" to be had from these three sets.

Looking at GHS' "Brightness Bar" Progressives and Super Steels are their brightest sounding sets, but I've never tried either. Hopefully someone who has tried DR Fat Beams, GHS Super Steels, and/or GHS Progressives will chime in with their thoughts.

Let's page @TonyP- . He endorses GHS Strings, and uses GHS Progressives. Let's hear his thoughts :thumbsup:

16. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Not necessarily. I’ve gone from 40-100 to 60-115 and all I had to do was tighten the truss rod.

17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I've been using GHS Boomers Med gauge for years.
    Recently went with their Med/lights which are nice also.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  18. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    It's been so many years since i used GHS, but back when i started bass they seemed like the budget option for strings. Significantly less expensive than other brands and if i recall correctly, possibly more prone to breakage. Is there any truth to that, or has the brand evolved over the last 15 years? I see alot of folks that love them so trying to set my mind straight.

Edit: Looking at their prices now, the price point is fairly in line with other brands.

19. Beendown139

Beendown139

Jul 4, 2018
    Back in the old days, I'd use GHS boomers as a low cost alternative to rotosound swings on my mid-70's P-bass. They sounded almost as good, but they'd go dead quicker. I'd revive them by boiling them in water for a couple of minutes (does anybody still do that?) and get another coupla nights out of them. It all depended on when our next gig was and if I'd get enough $$$ to get a new set of strings outta the deal.
    BTW, very few things beat the sound of a new set of rotosounds on an old precision bass - that is, if you're into that sorta thing.
    These days there doesn't seem to be that much cost difference, so it's rotosound swings for the princess...

20. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Always been a boomers guy.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.