1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Precision Flat Gauge ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Sep 28, 2009.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    SO I tried these strings when I first tried flats. I got the .95-45 guage string. At first all was fine, then strings broke in and I found them way too floppy. Since then I tried Labellas, Fenders, Webstrings..anyway tried a lot of different strings. The Fenders and Labella FL's kill my hands, way too much tension. But I keep remembering how thumpy those GHS strings were when I first tried them. I think I want to try them again, but since they are low tension flats maybe I should try the .105-.55 largest guage keeping in mind when they break in the flop factor should be more minimal with the biggest guage strings. These are going on a P, so I guess I am wondering the .105-.55 strings, how they feel versus the .105-.45 set and it bigger strings give just a little more tension when broken in? And how much more tension if any?

Thanks

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    All I know is that the set of GHS Precision Flats (well, actually it's a set of Lakland Joe Osborn) that I've had on my Precision for at least three years (probably closer to five years) feel very much the same under my hands as the DR Hi-Beam rounds I use on my other basses. 45/65/85/105 for the rounds, and the JO Flats are about the same.

John

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Are LJO flats the same as GHS PF's?

4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I've tried both sets. I didn't find a significant difference in the sound but found the 105-55 to be much too stiff.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

I found the .95-.45 too floppy. So do you like the .105-.45's and find them loose or med tension? Also did you allow time for those heavier strings to break in?

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've got the 105 Precision Flats on my '72 P all year long now, and I don't see them to be floppy at all...I'd say the firm end of medium, I've definitely had stiffer strings on this bass.
    A 95 I would expect to be floppy.

7. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    The GHS Precision Flatwounds 45-105 the perfect tension flatwound for me. I have used the 55-105 set in the past,and found them too stiff. These strings are great at nailing the "old" flatwound sound.

8. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I guess I would say med. Not loose. I tried the heavy ones for a month or so. They didn't get any looser.... I've been using the 105-45's for about 2 years on a Ric, Jazz, and P. They sound great.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Thank you everyone, I will be ordering the .105-.45's

Your right P-bass, I'm putting these on a P bass and looking for that "oldschool" sound