GHS precision flats. E string too long.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassLaird, Oct 25, 2019.

1. BassLaird

BassLaird

Apr 4, 2015
    Savannah, GA
    Wanted to try a lower tension 45 - 105 set of flatwounds. The E string is too long for my Jazz bass. I don't know why. I might put my chromes back on...Need opinion on what I rigged up.
    It was bothering me that the "speaking" "thick"part of the E string was wrapped around the tuning peg. So I found a ferrule in my parts box and put it at the bottom of bridge to actually extend the string to make it shorter up top. See pics. I took pics to explain better. Before and after pics. The 4th pic makes me a little nervous where the string touches the bridge.
    Is this over-thinking and OCDish or should I just go with the thick part of the string wrapped around the peg? Are there any other low tension flat string sets I should try that are the correct length for a jazz bass?
    72307231.JPG 72327233.JPG 72417242.JPG 72437244.JPG 72347236.JPG

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Looks like you may have bought Extra Long Scale strings instead of Regular scale. Got a picture of the packaging?

3. This is the very feature that kept me from trying the Precision Flats for a long time. My OCD wouldn't allow it.

The good news is they're pliable enough not to cause any issue when the main body of the E string wraps around the post.

Here's my Am Std P with P Flats:

[​IMG]

Rayjay and RyanOh like this.
  4. GHS P Flats come in three lengths:

Long Scale Plus = 38" winding. (No "universal long scale" with 37.25" winding.)
    Medium Scale = 35.5" winding.
    Short Scale = 32.75 winding.

This is where I like what La Bella has done with their "long scale" flats. 38" winding for G-D-A, 36.75" winding for E.

mmbongo likes this.
  5. BassLaird

BassLaird

Apr 4, 2015
    Savannah, GA
    Thank you for your reply! This helps.

6. BassLaird

BassLaird

Apr 4, 2015
    Savannah, GA
    HPIM7249.JPG

7. I really like the idea GHS includes the actual "winding length" (ball end to silk/taper) on the package instead of just "long scale", "medium scale", etc. Using "scale length" for strings can create confusion as different manufacturers define "scale length" differently when it come to how their strings are wound.

Morrighan likes this.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They only make one length E string. It is more than flexible enough to go around a jazz bass tuning post.

RyanOh and macmanlou like this.
  9. BassLaird

BassLaird

Apr 4, 2015
    Savannah, GA
    Good to know.. I'll just string it up normal.

10. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, I had the same reservations but it’s worked so far for me...

11. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    It’s fine, and they are wonderful flats, but my ocd took over for the set I put on my P. That and I would move down in gauge to 45-95 next time. I’ve got the medium length on my Kramer and they are buttery, and the silks stop right at the nut. They come out of the package ready to go.

michael_t likes this.
  12. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been running full scale strings on my short scale basses for nearly 30 years. Never a problem. The current set of Steve Harris full scale flats has been on my Musicmaster for at least 7 years now, wrapped just like in your "before" picture. Not a problem, and they still sound great. Fender sends their Mustang PJs out of the factory wearing regular scale 7250 strings without wraps. No problems there IME, and they sell 'em by the boatload as far as I can determine. Don't worry about strings that are too long. Just worry about strings that are too short.

13. This reminds me that the JMJ Road Worn Mustang is factory equipped with long-scale Fender 9050 Flats.

14. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I have had good luck with Chromes and TI flats in that regard, too. And they both work well on through-body Mustangs.

15. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 7.16.13 PM.png

michael_t likes this.
  16. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    My GHS flats E string goes around to 9 o'clock , sounds fine , no issues or unraveling etc

17. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sure beats ordering three sets of super long Precision Flats and having the B string be too short in all three packs...

0B67B13B-E130-4D79-801A-67CB504BECC3.jpeg

18. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    I’m sure someone has had a problem at one time when the core part of the string hit the post. I never have. I think this is more urban legend than reality.

19. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    My Roto 77 long scale wraps fine around my SG bass tuning peg. It's the stiffest string and the shortest scale (the peg itself is large though) and zero problems. Roto says doing so will void the warranty, but who needs warranty for something that won't foreseeably break at all. ;)

20. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    But even if something works in SOME cases doesn't mean it's always ideal. What about strings where the manufacturer warns against stringing through body? Can they handle having the thick part wrapped around the tuning post? And what about basses with very thin tuning posts, like Broncos or many vintage short scales like Hagstroms? Basically guitar size tuning posts. I don't think I would wind the thick part of an E-string around those!

Then there's tension to consider too. Some strings could get too flabby on a short scale. I don't think I would put full scale TI Jazz Flats/Rounds on a short scale bass!

But the Steve Harris set makes sense. I can see the insanely high gauge working great on short scale, maybe even better than it's intended use, lol!

As for Fender shipping out Mustang PJs (no through body option) with long scale strings I think that says more about Fender than anything else...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021