1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Precision Flats gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I'm going to try some GHS Precision Flats. Seems like they have two gauges, 45/65/75/95 and the more common 45/65/85/105.

Most of my strings have a .105 4th string, the Chromes they are replacing have a .100 4th. Trying to decide if I'd like the lower gauge?

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was doing something like the lighter gauge in Lakland Joe Osborn's, which are very similar (OEM'd I think) to the GHS. A mix of the heavier G & D and the lighter E & A. They worked very well. An articulate E & A while still being meaty on the G & D. I had a lighter G & D of the Osborns on my fretless for a while and it was too plinky on the G.

I think the lighter set would be well worth trying. I have the heavier Precision flats on a different bass and they're nice strings.

I've used Chromes as well as the GHS Precision Flats and Lakland Joe Osborns. I prefer the GHS strings to the D'Addarios. In addition, the Chromes on my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow were too short - the silks went slightly past the nut. The GHS strings are a better length for my needs.

In short, I think either set will work fine. I've gotten tired of experimenting and would probably just go with the 45 - 105 set, but if I were at a shop and needed a set of strings for a gig that night and my choices were any Chromes or the light GHS I wouldn't hesitate to get the lighter set and be confident that they'd work fine.

Similar scenario: At the shop, a week wait for the heavy set or the lighter set in stock, I'd get the lighter set.

If you're in an experimenting mood the lighter set probably won't be a waste of money.

Is that Appleton, WI? Howdy neighbor!

KO

3. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Yup. Thanks for the info!

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I count 3 different gauges:

3025 - Long+ Light: .045 .065 .075 .095
    M3050 - Long+ Medium: .045 .065 .085 .105
    3050 - Long+ Regular: .055 .070 .090 .105

And since GHS makes all of their strings easily available in singles, talk to your friendly string reseller and they can put together custom sets for you...

5. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton

I saw that 3050 set, wondered if the heavier than usual 1,2, & 3 strings was for folks who may down tune?

6. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Kraigo, what is it you like about the GHS strings vs. the D'Addarios Chromes? Just curious. I'm using my first set of light chromes and like them a lot but am still experimenting...

Thanks!

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    3050 are for standard tuning. They are still a flexible string. Flats are designed differently so the difference between a 45 & 55 are not going to be like rounds.

You can down tune the heavier set like any of them to a point.

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maybe a slightly stiffer feel. It's hard to quantify. The sound was similar (I'm terrible at describing these things but I'd say somewhat "harder"), but I like the feel of the GHS better. The deal breakers were:

1) The speaking length was a hair too short for my Ibanez Artcore. The silks extended slightly passed the nut.

2) For no good reason the G string snapped on me and I had to replace the strings anyway.

I have used the Laklands for over 10 years, but the one set of Precision Flats I've used show me that I can be as happy with them at ~$25/set rather than ~$40/set. 60% more for the Laklands for no real difference that I've noticed.

KO

9. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks, kraigo. I'll definitely give 'em a try.