1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Precision Flats "muddy" E string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BobDeRosa, Feb 23, 2019.

1. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    I just put a new set of GHS Precision Flats on my Yamaha BB1024x. The A, D, and G strings have a distinctive snap and clarity to them, but the E sounds muted or muddy -- distinctly different from the others, almost like something Jamerson would have been thrilled with. Is this a GHS thing, a Yamaha thing, a setup issue, a bad string or what? Thanks.

2. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    The E tends to be have more thud (like Pyramid Gold flats). The other strings will balance out after decent time playing. Well worth the wait, in my opinion. There are several threads on this phenomenon and the E string. It tended to be longer lasting break in time with a group of sets years ago, but those should be mostly in or past use at this point. Your patience will be rewarded. Sooner, the more you play. After a very short while you can't tell it in the mix. Like all flats, they will sound better after a couple months of use. Hang in there!

Good reading here...
    Praise Report: GHS Precision Flats

BobDeRosa likes this.
  3. I have the light set (45-95) on my P bass and am quite happy with the way the 95E is nicely balanced with the rest.

Hoges likes this.
  4. Sometimes a muddy string can be cured by setting the witness points. This is where the strings pass over the nut and the bridge. Most of the time they can be set by simply pushing down hard between the nut and the tuner and at the bridge between where the string mounts and the roller the string passes over. I have on occasion had to use a screw driver near the bridge to push down on the string.

e-flat and BobDeRosa like this.
  5. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Thanks very much for the useful and encouraging information.

6. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Interesting! I'll try that. Thanks very much.

sharkbait130 likes this.
  7. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Funny you should mention that. I have a brand-new set of lights, and I might try them if the other good advice I've gotten from TBers about the current set doesn't pan out. Thanks!

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yeah, a "dead/muddy" E string and 3 bright ones, is pretty common with most flats. If the E isn't twisted; a dud; or you haven't set the witness points, just keep playing that bass. The E string will eventually brighten up to met the "getting less bright" A-D-G strings somewhere in the middle. When that happens? They're broken in, and you can enjoy the flat wound goodness for a long, long time...:whistle:

BobDeRosa likes this.
  9. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Thanks very much.

10. Hoges

Hoges

Jul 18, 2017

11. Hoges

Hoges

Jul 18, 2017
    I have this problem with all my fender basses and this might be the b55est solution i have heard. My E strings are all 100 maybe going to 95 is the answer.

12. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    With many sets of flats—and GHS and La Bellas are more sensitive than most to this—the phenomenon of a dull-sounding E string is often associated with torsion (twisting) of that string during mounting. To correct this, loosen the string and (without taking it off the tuner) pull it down toward the bridge until an inch or so is projecting free of the bridge. Now, hold the string up near the tuner only so that the rest of the string is free to rotate, nut-to-bridge end. Continue holding the string up there and retighten the string until the ball contacts the bridge again. Tighten the string, enforcing good witness bends at both ends a bit below the right pitch, and tune to pitch. Bob's your uncle! I sometimes have to do this a couple of times with a new set of flats to get the E string to ring true. The break-in business is valid as well but 90% of the time torsion is the problem. Enjoy! They're great strings.

Linnin and e-flat like this.
  13. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I found ghs flats clunky and muddy, try chromes for clarity.

14. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Great advice regarding witness points & string twisting above. ^^^
    One other bit of advice I’ve found useful with dull E strings: assuming that you’ve checked for string twisting, try stretching the string by giving it firm tugs upward away from the neck. I am not normally one to stretch my strings, but have found that it helps settle a “dead E string” into producing a more defined note.

I’ve done this with GHS PFlats (.105 E... never had a prob with their .100 or .095 E strings) as well as DR Legends, Dogal Traditional and any other sets with an E that lacks note definition when new.

15. @BobDeRosa, do you have any update on this? Have you had a chance to try the light set (45-95) of the Precision Flats yet?

16. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Thanks for asking. The string balance is definitely improving as the strings break in. I actually put the Precision Lights on another Yamaha bass and love them. Will probably opt for the lights in the future, but with GHS longevity, there may never be a future need! I appreciate your followup.

e-flat, dagrev and michael_t like this.