Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS Precision Flats v. Brite Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by membranophone, May 17, 2000.

1. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I've read tons of positive reviews of the brites, but none about the precisions... Since all i can find at my local music stores are the precisions, i'd like to know how they compare to the brites.

Anyone try them? [​IMG]

2. I've never used the Brite flats, but are they not like half-round set? I suspect they are similar in tone to roundwounds with the smoother feel of flats. They are probably roundwound on the inside and flat on the outside.

The Precision Flats are a very good string. They have a really nice polished finish to them and they feel really smooth. They are very dark sounding with very little sustain, which is certainly what a lot of folks look for in a flatwound string.

For flats, I now use the D'Addario Chromes. They are a little brighter than the GHS Precisions and have more sustain. The Chromes do have a tone of thick bottom that I look for in a flatwound string.

The GHS Precision Flats are a very nice string, so if you are looking for a very dark thuddy flat, these would be my number one choice.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm an old fan of the Brite Flats, but haven't tried the others. Brite Flats have a nice tone to them, and can provide a reasonable amount of sustain. Yes, they are a half-round; actually, they are rounds that are then ground on the outer surface. The only thing I don't like about them now is the fact that they only come in .103 and higher for the E. When I used them eons ago, I was able to get them in .100s. After listening to people here, I'm ready to try the D'Addario Chromes (I hope they are better than the Half-rounds). Other than that, I was always fond of Labella flats...but that probably has a lot to do with trying to emulate Jack Bruce in the old days.

Mike_1978 likes this.
  4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I've got Precision Flats on my Jack Casady signature
    and am very happy. I went through a BUNCH of flats-
    D'addario, Fender, LaBella, Rotosound - before settling
    on the GHS Prec/Flats. One of the reasons I like `em is
    their articulation. I bet a set would sound really good
    on your MIM Jazz. I use the 3050 "regular": 55-70-
    90-105 (kinda' medium-heavy). There's a medium-light
    and light set as well. They also make a .126" low B
    for fivers.

Speakin' of Rotosound Flats, does anybody know what
    the he** "Monel" is? Is it steel, nickel, aluminum?!?
    Or, like that spooge in a Twinkie, better NOT to know.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've played both and I really disliked the Precision Flats, at least on my Precision Bass - took 'em off a half-hour later. Taut and very boring (characterless) as compared to others I've tried. I prefer the Thomastik Jazz Flats (on my Fender pbass fretless now) and D'Addario Chromes over them as far as flats go, and the Brite Flats (on my Fender Elite II these days) had more character and life to them as well.

Just one other bassist's opinion. YMMV.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    notduane - monel is a metal made up of approx. 67% nickel, 28% copper, and 5% other metals. It is non-magnetic and I don't know why Rotosound uses it. Their flats have a "different" sound, however. Too bright for me.

Monel is a naturally-ocurring metal, it's not something Rotosound came up with. I haven't seen it in any other strings, though.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I agree with you Re the T/I Jazz Flats.
    I'm not sure which I like more: them or
    sliced bread. I've got some T/I's on the
    way for an old fretless Ripper I picked up
    at Bass N/W. I was toyin' with the idea of
    tryin' a set of T/I flats on the Jack Casady.
    Like you said, the (GHS) Flats ARE taut and
    I AM concerned with all that "pull" on the
    J/C's neck whereas T/I's are much lower tension.
    I've got `em on a cheapie Yamaha fretless and
    am lovin' it!

Max Power - Thanx for the info Re Monel!

8. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    I've played with both, and I find the "groundwound" Brite Flats more to my liking. I find them brighter and more responsive than the Precision Flats, which I beleive are true flatwounds. Don't quote me on that, however. I think the Brite flats are more meant as a compromise between the tone of flats and round strings, which is something I've been looking for. Just my two cents.

9. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Well, notduane, I have a set of TI flats on my fretless Ovation Typhoon, not unlike the JC, and short scale at that, and they sound quite good.

And it just so happens that my main (only) electric bass was a fretless Ripper for about 20 yrs., which also wears the TI flats, and it has worn many others along the way. Check mine out at http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html -- I've done some mods to mine over the years. A great old bass - didn't see one up at Bass NW's site. BTW, hope you ordered the extra long 4 string flat set, or you can't mount them through-body.

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    "BTW, hope you ordered the extra long 4 string flat set,
    or you can't mount them through-body."

Yes sir! I ordered the JF364 and JR364 (36") sets. And,
    a JF344 set that I'll probably try on the J/C.

"-- I've done some mods to mine over the years."

That black Ripper with the Lane Poors looks too good!
    If the day ever comes, do you know of anyone currently
    making "drop-in" replacement pups besides Barto ?
    I wanna' stay passive and I thought RioGrande "PitBulls"
    might work. I emailed `em for dimensions but got a
    "I dunno" reply.

"- didn't see one up at Bass NW's site."

It was only up there for 2, maybe 3 weeks. It's a natural
    finish with an unlined ebony board. There's a small nick
    in the upper-right corner of the peghead face, but otherwise
    she's totally sweet.

11. sbassett

sbassett

Apr 2, 2000
    I have used Brite Flats on a variety of basses, both long and short scale. They have a very smooth feel (much smoother than the ground wound string sold by D'Addario). I have a set of Chromes on an old Kramer Duke headless and they are decent too, not as bright as the Brite Flats, but good on the Kramer since they tend to balance out its typically bright tone. Never tried the Precision Flats, but the Brite Flats are a good overall string.

12. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    "If the day ever comes, do you know of anyone currently
    making "drop-in" replacement pups besides Barto ?"

I'm not aware of anyone; I modified mine many moons ago, first for a Hi-A when the bridge pickup died, and then for a pair of EMGs and the Bart preamp, before I REALLY got out the router for the Lane Poors - but what a difference.

BTW, be prepared for a surprise on the fretless-- the side dots are in the positions for their fretted neck. I bought mine new and had the store black out those and add position dots a la Fender and the rest of the world.

13. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    "BTW, be prepared for a surprise on the fretless-- "

Thanx for the tip!

Jeez! I thought I had it all figured-out with the (Rob
    Allen) MB2 and the (Yamaha) RBX260F, now this?

Now. About them Precision Flats...