GHS Precision Flatwound- lame E?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by krfoss, Jul 20, 2017.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hi everyone. I have a set of GHS precision flatwounds on my P bass after taking them off my Jazz bass to see how it would sound. I notice that the ADG strings sound great and have character, but the E just sounds dead and lifeless on both the basses. The round wounds I took off the P sounded great and balanced, so it has to be the strings since no other adjustments were made.

Does anyone else have this experience? Is my set just defective, or is this typical of flats?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don't make a habit of reusing or moving strings. Anytime I restring I'll almost always use a fresh set. Which might also be a factor. But in the case of the light gauge set of GHS Precision Flats on my JB, the E string sounds just fine.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The low E on Precision Flats is dead and lifeless on every set of P Flats. Eight million people should be in to chime in any minute to tell you how you just need to let the other strings break in, at which point they still won't be as dead and lifeless as the low E, because the low E will be even deader. GHS allegedly "fixed" this a couple years ago (or maybe it wasn't that), but the last three sets I've owned since, including the ones on my P bass right now, would contradict that fact.

SteveFromBerlin likes this.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

FWIW, the ones I'm currently using are the 45-95 set and yes, the low E is just as flatulent as the 100 and 105 I had previous.

SteveFromBerlin likes this.
  5. The dead E strings is NOT typical of all flats, but it is fairly common with the GHS Precision Flats.

6. By the way, the GHS Precision Flats take the longest to break in as well.

7. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the input. They were on my jazz for about 3 months with nominal use. And dead there too, so I thought I'd switch them to the p assuming it could be my jazz pups being maladjusted. So, I guess it's the strings. I'll try a different set of flats, or perhaps the Dr blues. It's endless with strings.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. If you're looking for a set of flats that can give you that classic thump, try the La Bella 760FL (43-60-82-104).

All flats do take some time to break in, but at least the La Bellas break in together as a set so they will be better-balanced.

R&B, tallboybass and Yahboy like this.
  9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I need add foam under A,D,G string to get closest tone to E string in past.
    If you looking closest tone like GHS flat , lighter tension and smoother string surface , you should give yourself a try with Labella LTF4A . Have to mention first , need play it more than 2 weeks and your clone GHS tone start appear.

Hopehelp.

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have similiar troble like you, I love the Fender 7250 round E sound on my P, but most flat i been use the E sound get dark earlier and faster than others, the suckest one is ECB81's E string.
    Sadow flat is much better , but the greatest one belong to TiJF344's E string.

11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Agreed. The 760FLs have the best E string of all the flats I've tested!

12. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    This issue comes up over and over here. Properly installed (with great care to avoid twisting/torsion of the string, and establishment of witness bends at nut and saddle), the E strings in GHS Precision Flats and Labella DTFs are only modestly less bright than the other strings. Improperly installed, the E strings in both of these types sound like they belong in a completely different set made of rubber. To wit, I just installed a new set of the GHS (45-105) on a Yamaha BB300 and the consistency across the four strings is very good. I was interested that, on that bass, raising the P-style pickup slightly under the E-string made a big difference in the uniformity of brightness across the set.

13. @krfoss, which gauges do you have? Where did you get them?

It is my understanding that only the 105-E was reformulated in the last couple of years, not the 95-E.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Get a set of Chromes. Problem solved.

RocknRay and dannylectro like this.
  15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    once the ADG age they will sound the same as the E. They have a new formulation that age together, but it's not really an issue, just play them and they all mellow and sound great together.

nerkoids likes this.
  16. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Mine is thump city on all the strings, but I use a good foam mute as well. Definitely a YMMV, but I make a habit of adjusting my pickups when I change string types.

17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I may be the odd-duck here but I haven't had problems with the E being dead, I use the heavy set, my problem is that they get so gummy so quickly and keep getting that way no matter what I do...no other string, round or flat does this.

nerkoids likes this.
  18. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    For me, the E is not the problem, it's the goal for the other three strings to achieve.

But with the new formulation, I haven't really had the problem folks upthread have with the string set. They remain my go-to flats.

19. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What do you mean by "gummy"?

20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    the strings feel sticky, but not just sticky, they feel gummy, like the have a thick tacky coating on them, sort of like machine oil that just never ever comes off...that's the best I can describe it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021