GHS Precison Flats vs. D'Addario Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Feb 19, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I hear that the Chromes are tight! How do they compare in tension to the GHS Precision flats?

Thanks, H2 :eyebrow:
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, don't know about the GHS. However, I just put a set of Chromes on my 2002 MIM fretless. I found the XL roundwounds a little too clanky, and wanted to mellow out the sound.

They're gonna have to break in for a week or two. But IME thats when they start to sound really good :)

Tension wise, the chromes are not too bad at all. They are .45-.100 Same as the XL rounds I use on my jazz basses. I find them very easy to play!

My Pbass Deluxe has TI flats, so I'll compare to that tension wise.

The chromes are a little heavier than the TI's. TI's are definitely the lightest strings I've ever played. The chromes don't seem to be that much heavier IMHO-in fact, I'd say they feel pretty darn close (and there are Chromes going from .40-.95 for those switching from TI's)

Now, I've had Fender flats. Those are definitely higher tension than the Chromes.

I think you would like the Chromes. It's gonna be one of those try both, and see how you feel afterwards. :)
  3. 59jazz

:eyebrow: Beef bass, I have to agree with you! I have found more info on the chromes. Their tension is pretty close to the TI's, with the exception of the "D" string @52#'s. I have also recently learned that there are those who slap with flats; this for me would make flats a good all purpose string. I don't slap much, but there are some tunes that require 2-4 bars of slap. I really like the TI's on my P bass, but I would like to try something different on my RB5. I have read several reviews on the chromes, most of it good! But not everyones tastes are the same; the best judge of this string, will be me.

Thanks, Steve
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Be careful about guage. If somebody just asked are Chromes tight? My first answer would be "yes". But that is assuming 50 to 105 guage. The 45 to 100 are much looser, but IMHO, not as loose as the TI Jazz. TI jazz flats to me feel like detuned strings.

For a Motown thump, Labella light flats (760FL) are great. The standards are high tension, but the light are great without feeling floppy. Also much smoother than the Chromes. YMMV.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    No problem :hyper:

I really like the TI's on my Pbass too. They go well with the Nordstrand pickups.

I forgot to mention that the MIM fretless now has DiMarzio Model J's in it.

I had TI's on the fretless when it had the stock pickups in it. I liked them, but they sounded different there, then on the Pbass. I had it strung with the XL roundwounds when the DiMarzio's were first put in, but found them a little too clanky.

The chromes seem to go well with this. They feel very similar to TI's IMHO. Although I must say, there appears to be more bottom end with these, than with the TI's for some reason.

They are very easy to play! I played my fretless in church this morning. WOW to it sound great, all over the neck. I think I will be keeping these on the jazz. I will probably stick with the TI's for the Pbass, since they seem to work good there.

Based on my own experience, I would probably put the chromes on the RB5, since IMHO they go really well with a jazz type bass. :bassist:
  6. 59jazz

Thanks for the info guys...The reason I posted this question: I had the GHS flats on my Jack bass, they felt great and the tension fairly tight, but not to tight. I could handle them, but I'm hoping the Chromes are less in tension and stiffness; the P flats sounded thuddy, not my cup-o-tea.
    I understand that stiffness in a string is produced by tension and core / wrap size. If you compare the TI's tension specs (I don't have them here) to the Chromes specs, you will find that the Chromes are a smidge tighter than the TI's. I guess string construction has a lot to do with the tension too; TI's having a small round core, silk under wrap and soft nickel wrap vs. Chromes larger hex core and string diameter. So yes, the Chromes will be tighter, but then again I found that some strings that were regarded as being "tight" in tension, were of medium tension for me. I also want something with a bit more punch in the low end..................I'll try the Chromes!
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So far, I fall pretty much in line with what others have said here, but I may as well add my $.02. Right now, I have GHS Precision Flats on my Essex (w/Lace Sensor pickups). I think they have what Bass Player magazine calls a "compact" sound, i.e., not a lot of highs or lows, but nice thump and punch. Also, I've tried the GHS flats more than once, and always found that there is a significant increase in brightness of each string from E to G. They're not really my cup of tea, but they work reasonably well on that Essex.

OTOH, I'm really starting to dig Chromes. Nice and bright (for flats), more balanced than the GHS's, punchy. I have them on two basses right now (old P-J Roadstar II and new MIA Jazz) and I think they're great. I put the .050-.105 set on the Jazz, and they're a bit stiffer than I like. I'll see if I can get used to them.

One proviso: As soon as Dude Flats are available I'm going to try them on the Jazz. I tried Deep Talkin' flats on it, and was close to tonal nirvana; I had E-string issues. If the Dude Flats have a better E string than the others I tried, they will probably be my string of choice for that bass.

Oh, one more thing. Regular long-scale Chromes are too short for my Jazz bass if I do STB. I have them top-loaded.
  8. 59jazz

DUDE FLATS? :eyebrow: Please tell me more!

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, baby. :cool: Dude has been working with LaBella on a new set of flats made specifically for string-thru-body basses, such as my Fender Jazz. Not available yet, but Dude is saying prolly second quarter of this year. AFAIK, they'll only be available from him.