1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS Pressurewound gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by msiner, Apr 22, 2009.

1. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    After identifying some strings on a friend's bass as GHS Pressurewound I will be buying a set. My problem is that they come in some very non-standard sets of gauges. From the website for 34" scale:

L7200 .040 .054 .076 .096
    ML7200 .044 .058 .080 .102
    M7200 .044 .062 .084 .106

The second string gauge of .058 on the ML set seems a little small to me, but the fourth string on the M set is pretty large. I am thinking of going with the M set, but wanted to see if anybody had any experience with these strings or suggestions. Being made from Alloy 52 and having a flattened winding mean that I really have no idea about what to expect from the tension on these strings. They are relatively cheap, so I am not too worried, but I would like to get it right the first time. I have a tendency to play a bit aggressively (so no L set for me), but I don't want to be fighting with my strings either. Thanks for any help.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    If I recall, the Pressurewounds were pretty tight strings. Looking at those gauges, I would say the ML set would be the equivalent of a 45-105 set of GHS rounds.

3. I have the M set, and I don't think they are all that tight. I think you would be find with them. They are excellent strings!

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Considering that a regular medium gauge set is 45/65/85/105 (DR Sunbeams, DR Hi-Beams, Lakland's rounds both steel and nickle, and D'Addario's EXL-165 set), the M7200 is really close to what I consider standard. Biggest difference is the 3/10000 diffference on the D string from a 65 to a 62.

jte

5. I have used the light set and found them to be decent. They look and feel like a round, but sound like a flat. the strings are literally squashed in rollers (hence, the name compressed) which makes them feel very smooth to the touch. They are kind to your fretless boards and to your frets as well.

6. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the advice I might still be leaning towards the medium set. Does anybody else have some advice specifically about the tension and gauges of these strings?

7. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I have a medium set on my SX. They feel good, less noise, good sustain. They sound like a child from a round and a flat!

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I think they're great strings. I've made another observation. The seem to be exactly like Ken Smith slick rounds, both in feel, and gauges offered. Like the GHS, the slick rounds are also very good strings. Just my 2 cents :)

9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Maybe GHS makes them for Ken Smith? There aren't that many string manufacturers out there.