1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GHS Pressurewound Question for you gurus out there.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rosstanium, Oct 3, 2009.

1. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    Hey guys,

Just put a set of med-light (.044 - .102) pressure wound strings on my pbass.

i dig the way the A-D-G string sound...but the E seems to have less over-tones to it...more of a fundamental but not as beefy as what I was expecting. Just wondering if any of you string gurus out there would attribute this to the gauge or the style (pressure wound.) I've never played with med-lights or lights before...so that's why I ask. Or perhaps the string is bad??

Thanks for your input...

2. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    ...or maybe this is a foolish question...? :eyebrow:

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Not a foolish question. It's just that there are relatively few compression wound players out there.

I have a relatively new set of 44-106 GHS Pressurewound strings here on a P Bass, and the E is a little deader than the rest. String to string balance is a hard thing to get right for string makers, every set is some kind of compromise. My guess is that your set will settle in to limit the difference in sound.

Go to the GHS website and look at the videos for the Pressurewounds; the E on Pomeroy's bass is a little darker than the rest, too.

4. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Thanks for your input. I just ordered a set of mediums. hoping that the thicker gauge might be more to my liking.

5. CFS

CFS

Oct 21, 2006
    Pennsville, NJ 08070
    Any luck with the mediums?

Thinking about a set for my P bass and would be interested to hear how they work out.

6. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    Ross, I've used the L7200 light set for a few years and keep trying others but always come back. Being a guitar player the mediums seemed a bit stiff for me. I agree with your observation and find the G a touch on the bright side when new. But, as they settle in they seem to come together quite well. Maybe by now you've seen some improvement if they're not back in package. I've been fooled more than once with first impressions so..... Lee

7. I use the same set on a couple of my basses, but have not noticed. Perhaps it is a bad string.
    I have noticed as well that not every set is perfect from string to string, so that could be what is going on here.

8. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I used these for a while on my fretless Stingray 5. I found after a few sets that the E and B strings were indeed inconsistent. Which is too bad, because they feel great and are kind to the fingerboard.