GHS Pressurewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I slapped these on my fretless last night for the first time, but didn't have time to play the bass until this afternoon and WOW! I love these strings. They sound like roundwounds that have lost their zing after a month or so, and for me, that's a great thing. They're the perfect amount of brightness for me.

I am a little curious though as to how often others usually change these strings? For what it's worth, I bought the light set, and play approximately 1-2 hours a day.

2. Low Fource

Low Fource

Mar 22, 2009
    I was wondering how long people keep these strings as well. I mainly play flats (TI Jazz) and I am really hoping to keep these strings on my bass without ever changing them. For the record, I usually don't change strings unless I break one or have tuning/intonation issues, roundwound or flatwound. My daily playing time is very similar to the OP's.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have some pressure wounds on a 4 string bass of mine. It's an inexpensive Samick copy that I use to play around on. I wanted to put something different than rounds on it, but I didn't really want flats either. Jason at Welcome to Bass Strings Online - Your Custom Bass String Shop... recommended GHS Pressure Wounds and I've had them on the bass since either August or September. They have mellowed a bit more but still sound good.

I'm seriously considering putting some of them on my Jazz V.

4. Madbassplaya, when you say mellowed out a bit, are they still relatively bright, or are they now maybe closer to a flat than a roundwound?

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Mine lasted about 4 months of playing 2-6 hours a day, after they went dead I put them on my ABG and they sound great on it. They do sound more like a flatwound now.

6. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    I have probs with the pressure wounds rusting and getting corroded after a few months... My hands do sweat, but I dont have that problem with other strings...

7. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I got bored of them long before they could wear out. Had them on for 3-ish months.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Keep in mind, I don't play this bass a ton or gig with it. I just had a bass with Sadowsky flats on it. They were much more mellow and smooth than the Pressure Wounds. The Pressure Wounds have lost some treble but they are still closer to rounds, IMO. I imagine if I gigged them or played them more they'd need changing sooner.

They really are the perfect balance between flats and rounds, IME.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021