Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS progressives...anyone here try 'em?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 31, 2005.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I got a set at NAMM, and threw 'em on my new Low End/Benavente jazz bass...I've been a big fan of DR Low Riders for quite a while. After hearing these, I'm hooked. I don't know how long they'll last, but they have the tension of stainless, but the slippery feel under the right hand of nickel. The E string has an exposed core, and really helps the note speak quicker. Overall, a really mid-punchy string, and a GREAT feel! Gobs 'o tone.
    Anyone else here try 'em? How is the longevity (if you keep your hands clean)?

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I like them a lot.

(That's my vague response, more later.)

3. They are friendly to your frets and fingertips, too. I ran several sets on my RB5 before I sold it.

4. Progressives came standard on my 5-string Hanewinckel. Do the tapered B and E strings seem to be a bit less defined to anybody else? :confused:

5. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Progs are damn bright for nickels, and have a ton of magnetic output, so I am leery of putting them on the G&L's. That said, I've used them on SR5's, Thunderbirds (Gibson and Greco), and a 73 Jazz Bass. They sounded FARKIN' huge on the T-birds- a perfect match for the Gibsons. They gave some depth to the SR5, adding some needed low-mids. The Jazz sounded great solo'ed but was anemic in a band situation until i put the Progs on. It got a lot louder and filled up the bottom end much better.

They don't slap that good, a little too stiff, and the sound is definitely not 'Marcus'-ish. The E string is very balanced to the rest of the set, and the B is pretty good (not great).

GHS has been the whipping boy for a while now, and somewhat deservingly (I used to swear by boomers in the 80's, but they did something to the formula, and now the E on Boomers sounds like sh*t right out of the wrapper), but these, and all the Alloy 52 sets are a good call to give some big balls to a passive bass.