GHS progressives...anyone here try 'em?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 31, 2005.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I got a set at NAMM, and threw 'em on my new Low End/Benavente jazz bass...I've been a big fan of DR Low Riders for quite a while. After hearing these, I'm hooked. I don't know how long they'll last, but they have the tension of stainless, but the slippery feel under the right hand of nickel. The E string has an exposed core, and really helps the note speak quicker. Overall, a really mid-punchy string, and a GREAT feel! Gobs 'o tone.
    Anyone else here try 'em? How is the longevity (if you keep your hands clean)?
  2. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I like them a lot.

(That's my vague response, more later.)
  3. They are friendly to your frets and fingertips, too. I ran several sets on my RB5 before I sold it.
  4. Progressives came standard on my 5-string Hanewinckel. Do the tapered B and E strings seem to be a bit less defined to anybody else? :confused:
  5. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Progs are damn bright for nickels, and have a ton of magnetic output, so I am leery of putting them on the G&L's. That said, I've used them on SR5's, Thunderbirds (Gibson and Greco), and a 73 Jazz Bass. They sounded FARKIN' huge on the T-birds- a perfect match for the Gibsons. They gave some depth to the SR5, adding some needed low-mids. The Jazz sounded great solo'ed but was anemic in a band situation until i put the Progs on. It got a lot louder and filled up the bottom end much better.

They don't slap that good, a little too stiff, and the sound is definitely not 'Marcus'-ish. The E string is very balanced to the rest of the set, and the B is pretty good (not great).

GHS has been the whipping boy for a while now, and somewhat deservingly (I used to swear by boomers in the 80's, but they did something to the formula, and now the E on Boomers sounds like sh*t right out of the wrapper), but these, and all the Alloy 52 sets are a good call to give some big balls to a passive bass.