1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Progressives M8000X

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trothwell, Oct 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    BASS PROGRESSIVES™

Just noticed what looks like a new set of GHS Progressives, 45-106. I'm guessing the 38" length would be fine for through-body stringing?

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    That set has been around for a very long time. It left, and then came back a couple years ago.

It still will NOT be good for thru-body stringing, because the E string is exposed core and is designed to be top-load. This set will work great for 35" scale basses, as the regular M8000 set only has a 36.5" winding length which is suitable for 34" scale, period.

trothwell likes this.
  3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Thanks! I did not remember seeing it before. And thanks! I would have been disappointed to have ordered it only to find out it wasn't what I was thinking it was. :)

4. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    You’re welcome!

There are some “non exposed” E string gauges that you can buy as singles (they’re under the PRR part number) that are 38” winding length that WILL work for thru-body stringing, if you want to put together a set that way.

5. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    The standard 36.5" set worked fine for me for thru-body, except for the E string. Sounds like a reasonable plan.

6. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    That's because even on the standard 36.5" set, the GDA strings are 38" winding length.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Progressives 2.0 are now available on the GHS web site. I have PM'ed Jon Moody for the tension specs.
    BASS PROGRESSIVES™ 2.0