Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS Progressives vs. Danelectro "Vintage Tone"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    This is a wierd question, but is there any way to tell these strings apart? I just bought a used Fender JP-90 (very cool bass BTW) and the dealer I bought it from replaced the nut and put new strings on it before he shipped it. I called him and he said he either put GHS Progressives or Danelectro strings on it, he couldn't remember which. He thought Danelectro. I'm thinking maybe they're Progressives, because of their bright, clean, semi-aggressive sound. They have a rough feel and look more-or-less like average nickel roundwounds. No silk. I'd really like to know what they are, so I can get the same thing next time. I haven't tried either of the mentioned strings before.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Flatwound, GHS progressives should have a taperwound E string. I gonna assume the Danos do not. Also, most GHS sets have silk on them. Hope this helps.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks, rsautrey. This E isn't tapered, so it looks like they must be Danos. I had heard a lot of negative stuff about the Danos, but these are pretty nice.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think those Dano strings are pretty good, actually. I've used 'em on several basses. Guitar Center had an insane blowout earlier this year where they were selling boxes with 6 for about $3 a set. I stocked up. They're comparable to SIT Rock Brights or D'Addario XL's, IMO