1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Progressives?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trothwell, Mar 1, 2016.

1. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    To what might GHS Progressives be compared? Not finding much in terms of description or sound examples.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Progressives have a slightly smaller core diameter than our usual fare (some may say that makes them comparable in feel to the competition), and use Alloy 52. It's a nickel-iron alloy which is highly magnetic, so there's a lot more punch and output with the strings. Personally, I find that allows me a lot more nuance when I'm playing. The B and E strings are exposed core as well.

Tone, I'd put as a slightly mellower version of stainless steel, although they feel smoother, like nickel strings.

They're my personal favorite set; I have a light set on three basses at this point.

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    To me, having played them since they were a new string decades ago, they look, sound and feel about half way between Boomers and Super Steels. I interact with nickel, so the higher iron content of the "52" alloy lasts longer for me. I went through a string safari to catch myself up on some of the later brands and models of strings on my Rickenbacker 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3"), after using Progressives in custom gauges 45-60-80-105 for over twenty years. Now that I'm done with the safari, I'm going back to them, with one exception: to damp down twang, I'm using a Pressurewound 44 G string (which is also wrapped with "52" alloy) along with the 60-80-105 Progressives.

trothwell likes this.
  4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Thanks! Just how much "twang" would you say is in the Progressives? What I did not like about GHS Super Steels was there was a sort of "twangy" tone the strings. Not extreme, but enough that I eventually felt compelled to try something else.

5. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    As I said above - a little less than the Super Steels, a little more than the Boomers. I just took it to the next level.

6. If "twang" is what you're concerned about, why not try the Pressurewound? They're basically slightly-mellowed-down version of the Progressives.

I find the ML7200 set (44-58-80-102) one of the best-balanced factory sets around both in terms of tension and tone. As @Linnin would put it, they're "tangy" not "twangy".

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Jim Pen, AstralBirth and Linnin like this.
  7. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I just might do that. I had tried Pressurewounds on a different bass in the past, and... eh, maybe I'll just try both.

I do kinda miss the days when I bought strings locally, unaware of the plethora of options available. Every bass was perfect with Ernie Ball Slinky stainless steel strings! Now I feel constantly in search of The Perfect Tone, which I increasingly wonder if I would even recognize if I heard it...

8. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    That's what my G string is now, a 44 Pressurewound.

AEVAREX likes this.
  9. I haven't noticed any twang, but i have noticed how much more fundamental and low mids they have. I have been using DAddario XL's (past 7 years) and Kaliums (past 5 Years) and cant believe how much more low end information is coming through from the Progressives. I am actually running the bass flat on my bass and rolling off the bass a hair or running it flat where I used to boost it a tad on my bass and about an 1/8th on my amp. This is with the bridge soloed! I also switched to slightly heavier gauges, but wasn't expecting this much low end increase. The highs are nice and clear, though. They seem much more open and hifi than the high end of XL's.

trothwell likes this.
  10. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Have installed a set of GHS Progressives on my Fender Jazz bass.

Wow. Seriously, wow. I literally have tears in my eyes. These strings make this bass sound amazing. Will try to come up with a suitable demo to record.

(And no twang.) :)

SirMjac28 and AstralBirth like this.
  11. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I am seriously jonesing to try GHS strings again - particulary the Progressives. My current favorite is EB Cobalts but I remember how good tapered B's (and E's) sounded. I tried Progressives a long, long, long time ago - maybe around '92 and don't remember thinking they worked for me but back then it was stainless steel or nothin'! I think I'm going to go ahead and order myself a set!

BTW - they'll be going on a mid-90's Carvin LB75.

trothwell likes this.
  12. By any chance do you have any demo sets of the progressives to try out?

13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have a few basses strung w/Progressives - they were my go-to set for years. Experimenting with D'Addario XL's of late and liking them, especially the NYXL's. Different basses will shine with certain strings and not with others regardless of brand or quality.

eriky4003, trothwell and AstralBirth like this.
  14. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Recorded some demos with these strings:

miljoneir, IconBasser and StayLow like this.
  15. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    This.

16. GHS makes great strings in the state that gave us awesome rockers like Mark Farner and Ted Nugent (too bad about Seger), could GHS make these strings with a full winding at the E string ball ends and call them conservatives for those of us who still love 'Murica?
    Are Boomer52s still around anyhow?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  17. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
  18. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    We've always had full winding E strings for Progressives. They're not in packaged sets, but you can easily get a 95, 100 and 105 IIRC (currently at home; will have to confirm at the office). The part number is PRR instead of the regular PRB.

In fact, I've been playing with a PRR126, because a couple of guys have asked for that as well.

Discontinued, yes. However, you can still find some hanging around.

Arthur U. Poon and SturmUndDrang like this.
  19. Great news. I see E strings with the PRR part number offered in .091, .096, .101 and .106 on juststrings.com if that info is up to date.
    Hopefully the conservative minded folks can put their politics aside and give these progressive strings a try ;)

20. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Once my roundcore Boomers die, I need to try a set of GHS Progressives.

trothwell and Jon Moody like this.