GHS Progressives

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DLM, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DLM

May 25, 2004
    I'm thinking these things are the next (unintentionally) best-kept secret...

I'm sure a few of you are using them, but having just tried them for the first time I'm finding they're easy on frets, fast (my fingers would get hung up on DRs), well-balanced tonally/harmonically, very alive and competitively priced.

Is it me or are these strings really that good? So, I'm wondering what you guys think of them?

P.S. I'm surprised these come from the same company that makes boomers (was unimpressed but no offense to Boomer fans).
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    These are Pete Hanewinckel's string of choice and he puts them on all of his steel strung basses. I have them on several basses and yes, they are excellent; just as you describe. However, the taper core is not the best choice for me on some of my instruments so I'm not quite as sold on them as Pete. They are a VERY consistent string, tho, and hold up nicely to gigging.
  3. I ran these on my Fender RB5. Very nice strings, and the taper-B was entirely appropriate for the RB5.

Kind to frets, nice tone, long life, is how they responed to me.
  4. zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    Progressives are really that good :D

I used to be a fan of boomers but recently moved from 130-45 boomers to 135-45 progressives, and would never switch back.

They feel just as good, tone is a tad brighter and is still nice after a month, while boomers were dead after 2 weeks.
  5. DLM

May 25, 2004
    I'm surprised this post hasn't elicited more responses. There are numerous threads of praise for other strings. I guess GHS Progressives just don't have a wide fan base.

My personal opinion: I think these strings are a "wolf in sheep's clothing." I prefer them over the DR Sunbeams I currently have on my '76 Precision.