GHS Prrecision Flatwound & Pressurewound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nashman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    I just purchased (Just Strings) 2 new string sets - one for a Stingray HH, the other for an American Standard P.

I wanted something in between a round and a flat for the Ray, currently strung with EB Hybrid Slinkys - and chose GHS Pressurewound Scale, .044 - .106, M7200.

The P currently has EB Group III flats - I'm going to try GHS Precision flatwound Scale, .045 - .105, M3050

Hopefully these are both good choices - looking forward to trying them out. I have never tried GHS strings. The both sound like they are recommended based on everything I have read.

Thoughts on these choices - and bass pairing?

2. Well, I have both of those strings on my basses now... I have the Flats on my P, and the Pressurewounds on my fretless J. They're both amazing strings.

I originally had chromes on my P Bass, but didn't like them for what I wanted at the time. I wanted some good ol' thumpy string and the GHS fit that bill perfectly. Perfect feel, tension, and of course tone.

I haven't tried any other pressurewounds so I can't compare those. But I am a huge fan of GHS strings. I originally bought their tapewounds for my fretless, and they were the only tapes that come in a standard gauge so I didn't need to adjust the nut. They were awesome too, but I decided to get away form the upright sound and head towards a more Jaco-type sound.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Sounds like a perfect pairing. GHS makes a good string.

+1.

5. The pressurewounds are actually a couple of dollars cheaper at juststrings. I've personally found their service great and I get my strings, shipped to Canada, in less than week every time.

6. cvogel

cvogel

Dec 17, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the GHS flats. I feel like a lot of flats (Chormes, the old Fenders in particular) need to mature before they start getting good, but GHS are great right out of the box.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com

On the "surface" it may appear that way. But when shipping and other stuff is taken into account, this is not an accurate statement...

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I used to order from Juststrings.com. I never had a bad experience with them, so I'm not gonna dog them at all. I will say that I feel there shipping charges are a bit inflated, IMO.

I began using bassstringsonline.com because he had a sale on some strings and I took a chance on a company I had never heard of. That chance paid off BIG for me. Jason and his company are the best in the business. Jason ships things extremely fast. Much faster than I have received elsewhere. His shipping prices aren't inflated. He responds to my emails promptly and is VERY knowledgeable not only about strings but also about the bass as well.

bassstringsonline.com also has a rewards program:
    Get Rewarded for shopping on Bass Strings Online!

So the reasons I use BSO.com
    1. Service (the best that I've ever had)
    2. VIP pricing
    3. Awards Program
    4. Experience with the product and instrument.

Jason wants to save you money, too. I can't tell you how many times i've seen post where someone has ordered and he finds a way to give them exactly what they want but a few bucks cheaper like ordering a 4 string pack of strings and adding another string vs. making a custom set of the same strings. The dude treats his customers right!

Also, if you email Jason about the prices, I believe he will match authorized dealers if he can.

Check this out though:

JustStrings.com:

GHS Pressure Wounds $18.62
    US First Class Shipping $ 6.95
    Total $25.57

NO REWARDS POINTS EITHER

Bassstringsonline.com:
    GHS Pressure Wounds $19.90
    US First Class Shipping $ 3.44
    Total $23.34

Reward Points: 20

Priority shipping at BSO.com is only $6.24!

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Again, there's nothing wrong with Juststrings.com. I've just liked the service I get from bassstringsonline.com better, that's all. :)

Buy from who you like, you'll get a good product from either.

10. Ooh, well I like me some rewards points! When I was on my Flats-Only policy last year, that wouldn't have mattered much, but now that I put the Pressurewounds on my fretless, that's something that intrigues me... And yeah, the shipping charges are quite different, LOL.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    FWIW - the rewards end up working out to an extra 5% off on most items...

I started using Pressurewounds (well Ken Smith Compressors) on my 6 String Fretless back in '98, for the longest time that was the only thing that touched my fretless. They are pretty awesome arent they ;)

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Might want to check again..Jason kills them :)

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    If you like man, give BSO.com a try. If you wanna stay with Juststrings.com, there's no problem there either.

Hopefully I didn't come across as a d*** or anything. Just wanna help my fellow bassist out. And Jason has always helped me out with my orders, whether it was helping me pick what I needed in a string or finding a way to save me money like buying a 4 pack and adding a string. I like to share the experience I've had with them.

If it weren't for you, I'd have never tried them. I love them!

14. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Both of these are great stings! Love them both!

15. No worries man, you certainly didn't come across as a d***. I actually felt like I was a bit of one to mmbongo, but like you, I just wanted to help out. On the surface juststrings seems cheaper, but I keep forgetting to not judge a book by its cover.

Bassstringsonline seems good, Jason's helped me out in other threads, and I didn't realize there were reward points. I will try them for my next purchase.

Sorry for the thread derail, LOL, anyways. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with GHS. I'm a huge fan of their strings. I've never had a bad one and they all are perfectly even across strings. The pressurewounds are the nicest strings I've seen to. Very shiny, black silk, all four strings have brass ends, as opposed to brass, green, red, etc. I normally don't care about that stuff, but I really like how these ones look... And sound of course, and their tension on the flats, tapes, and pressurewounds have been perfect for me.

16. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    +1 to all of the above posts about basstringsonline.com and the Pressurewounds.
    Incidentally, I purchased some GHS Pressure wounds from Jason's site.
    Excellent service; price, shipping speed, customer contact, etc.
    And I'm very happy with the Pressurewounds. Nice compromise between flats and rounds.
    They definitely sound great to my ears.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Exactly the same for me although my Jazz isn't fretless and I'm negotiating on a PBass now that will sport the PFlats. Everything else I highlighted as well.

The PWounds are a perfect match for a JBass or any more mids oriented bass and the PFlats give a PBass a nice big old round bottom to lay in the mix.

Two super selections in my book. I might add that I've been playing bass for over 30 years and these are two of the best strings, along with DR's, that I've even played.

Oh, and a big +1 for Jason and his company. Anytime I can talk with and get advice from a pro bassist on my gear I'm gonna take advantage of it and he always comes through. I'm just about ready to replace my PWounds with a little heavier gauge and that's were my order will go.

18. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Has anyone used the GHS and Rotosound Pressure wound strings? I'd be interested to hear the differences between the two.

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I've been playing Sunbeams as my strings of choice for 10 years or so. I just put some GHS Precision flats on my JPJ, and I must say, perfect feel, tension and tone. It's hard to believe I've been missing out on these for so long (I was happy with the Sunbeams but they fall short in tension and tone compared to the P flats). They are going on ALL my 4's on the next required change (if not before, the Sunbeams are very durable). Can't wait to try them on my 55-94.

20. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    This is why I recommend GHS strings to all those who are interested in experimenting with flatwounds. I have tried all the other brands, and I keep coming right back to these. No other string I know of combines so many positive attributes at such a reasonable price point.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021