1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS Restring Poll

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, May 18, 2019.

1. GHS Roundcore Bass Boomers

2. GHS Balanced Nickels

3. GHS Brite Flats

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I need to restring my 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with stock Custom Shop pickups. No, I don't want to put on another set of Pressurewounds, or hex core Bass Boomers. I had thought roundcore Bass Boomers (which I love on this bass) would be the set of choice especially now that they are being manufactured with the same construction techniques as Balanced Nickels.

Balanced Nickels are my stringset of choice for my 2017 Fender American Professional Precision. Love the dark smooth tonality. Blessedly clankless. Never thought I would consider a set for my jazz, but now I am.

For the shocker: Brite Flats. I never even considered them before I recently learned that Leo Fender had ordered ground wound strings from GHS for his brand new invention, the Music Man Stingray. Not sure who invented these. Leo Fender? Someone at GHS? D'Addario? Don't know. I do know I tried a set of D'Addario Half Rounds around 1980 or so, and hated them. That was then, and this is now. Brite Flats are different, and so am I.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Balanced Nickels on your P and Round Core Boomers on your J. Live happily ever after! :thumbsup:

As for the Brite Flats, they do have a unique character of their own. That's why I wanted to try them at least once. So, they went on my J last August and came off 3 wks later. Why? Because by the third week they were sounding more like flats than rounds and I already had a set of the Precision Flats on my P at that point and I didn't need two "flatwound basses".

That being said, I will be giving the Brite Flats a second chance as of next month, when the P Flats on my P will be replaced by a set of Pressurewounds. When it comes to flats, I actually favor the smooth, mellow tone of semi-flats on a J over the old-school thump and thud of flats on a P.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That was my original thinking of which I am still strongly in favor.

bhendrix and EatS1stBassist like this.
  4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I voted Brite Flats just to give them a chance...I recently discovered that I love these strings and have them on two Stingrays and two Jazz basses. For that tone, they are great.

On my Geddy Lee Jazz, light gauge Boomers now.

5. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Balanced Nickels sound great on my comparable American Standard Jazz. Brite Flats sounded meh. Good on the fretless Jazz though. I voted Balanced Nickels!

But... I would be really interested in hearing your take on the Brite Flats. :)

Linnin likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    So would I! :laugh: I need a set that will last at least six months if not a year. Brite Flats are a definite contender. With new strings, my jazz will be back in rotation with twice or thrice weekly play. More at the beginning with new strings. :cool: It's a conundrum to be sure. :cool:

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The allure of the dark side is strong!

Pbassmanca and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    No dark here... only light, righteousness, and truth!

9. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Why not regular Boomers?

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's what I have on now and I most definitely like roundcore Bass Boomers better. They are more 'polite' with a smooth glassy top end. I think they nail the Greg Lake 'ELP' tone, which I love immensely. Hexcore Bass Boomers are rude in-your-face power rock strings and the best at what they do. Just not the sound I'm after right now.

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have used all three sets on my Jazz. The Brite Flats are indeed brite for flats Very smooth feeling and well flat. But not Motown flat, brite and twangy flat. Next up would be the round core Boomers and then then nickels only because the nickels are a bit darker or less brite.

EatS1stBassist and Linnin like this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yeah, I get 'cha @Nighttrain1127. I don't want Nashville Telecaster type twang in a bass guitar. I was hoping they'd be more smooth jazz oriented. Now I'm leaning more heavily towards Balanced Nickels. Dark, Mellow, and Chewy like Pumpernickel.

13. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Balanced Carrots!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No. No carrots. Only beats. No off brands. No others. Only GHS.

15. The Balanced Nickels are my favourite strings. I have them on my Aerodyne, usually played with the J pickup volume at about 25% and the P pickup pretty much on full. I may never buy a different type of string again. But if you have both a Jazz bass and a Precision bass, you want them to be different. If you have the BNs on the P, I'd put the Boomers on the J. So that's my vote.

michael_t and Linnin like this.
  16. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I just tried GHS Pressurewounds on my jazz. Took em right back off again. They're for sale now in the TB classifieds.

I went back to precision flats for now.

17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    This is the way I was originally leaning when I started the poll. I reread my roundcore Boomer and Balanced Nickle reviews. It's a tough call.
    Review: GHS Balanced Nickels 4M-NB
    Review: GHS Round Core Bass Boomers

18. moreblues

moreblues Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2013
    hudson valley,n.y.
    I voted for the round core boomers and I would use the medium light set which is 45-65-80-100 at 172.1 lbs.
    Now if they only made a set with 45-60-80-105...that would be nicely balanced tension wise!
    If I were to use the balanced nickels,I like the medium set 44-60-80-106 at 184 lbs.
    On second thought maybe the nickels...I like the string gauges better!

Linnin likes this.
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I don't think I'm going to get any marketing accolades with "The Sound Of Pumpernickel".
    o_O :rollno: :bag:

20. A small correction...

RCB 45-65-80-100 = 162.2 lbs.
    RCB 45-65-85-105 = 172.1 lbs.