1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS - rusty strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassLife77, Apr 18, 2010.

1. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    last time I checked, stainless steel doesn't rust :confused: :scowl: They sent me 2 sets of Boomers for free as a replacement. But I don't like nickel so I am going to have to sell them on ebay. This is the first time I ever got a rusty set. Another great string company went down the drain, what a shame

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    You're willing to say an entire company "went down the drain" because of a fluke set? Are you this harsh of a judge of everything in your life?

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Two good sets for one bad one doesent seem like a bad deal to me.

4. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Agreed.

5. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I contacted the merchant who sold me the strings and told him to check his inventory. He emailed me back and said the entire inventory of these strings are rusted. Even the cores are rusted. :confused: He has to send them all back to GHS. So much for quality control. never buying GHS again :scowl:

6. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Sounds like youre complaining about things that in reality arent even a big deal.....

You got a bad set of strings from someone who got a bad batch that went through who knows what before he got them. Also, im willing to bet the stirngs were pretty old if he was able to check them all w/o worry since all newer GHS strings come in airtight packaging. I find it hard to believe he opened all of the GHS strings he had if they were sealed packages.

7. Boomers are great strings. Even though they're not stainless I've never had any issues with them. They start out very bright, mellow in in about a week, then hold that tone for a long time. GHS Boomers are the one constant among all my basses...all 14 of them.

8. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Boomers are OK but I don't like the mids. The mids in steels sound better to me. It's a personal preference

9. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I realize not all of their strings have the sealed packages, their older sets dont. However, all of their newer sets should have them.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/ghs-strings-introduces/December-2009/105389

Really, you felt the need to PM me this?

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Defineatly NOT cool.

The PM not the strings.

Look if the company GHS really didn't care and was going down the drain then why whould they try to go out of their way by hooking you up with replacement sets in the first place? Seems to me that you just got a apple with a worm in it but, your acting like a bird crapped on you or something. CHILL OUT!

Besides you can't go around PM'ing your fellow bassists like that. I'm pretty sure Jaco dies again everytime that you do.

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Regarding the PM:

[​IMG]

That is all.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    airtight packages...lol...all of a sudden we need to protect bass strings from air? this reminds me of the old nashville straights debacle...they sold strings in packaging that was long and thin so the strings wouldn't have to be curled up. of course, everyone with half a brain realized that if a string can't stand to be curled up, how the hell will it last on an instrument with all the pressure that tightening them up to pitch puts on them? so naturally they went teats up. i doubt ghs will go bankrupt over it, but it's all a lot of marketing hogwash.

13. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    well I'm never using GHS again. I can understand maybe one bad set but a whole warehouse full of them? GHS obviously has no quality control and could careless about the material they make their strings with. The merchant I bought them from suggested not to buy GHS. :scowl:

14. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    D'addario and Ernie Ball have also changed their packaging, mainly due to counterfeit strings hitting the market.

15. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I've never gotten a set of rusty strings from anyone. ever.
    I would switch merchants.
    I've used all sorts of GHS. They are my main strings. Never a problem.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i used to use ghs strings and i can't recall ever getting a bad set. however, you are free to vote with your dollars. and i will also say that if you bought a set of rusty stainless steel strings and they sent you boomers as a replacement, that ain't right. they should have sent you a replacement set of what you bought.

btw, calm down with the pm's...if you think they won't throw you off of here over pm's, i have evidence to the contrary.

17. Stainless steel can rust depending on the grade of metal and the amount of chromium in the metal that makes stainless steel well stainless steel

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If those strings had the old style packaging, there's no telling how old the strings are. They could have been on your dealers shelf for 10 years, been exposed to humidity, tons of things. Does not sound like GHS's problem.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've never had anything but positive experiences with GHS products and customer service. I'd be willing to bet that they don't ship rusty strings, and that they even have protocols in place to prevent shipping rusty strings. I haven't put anything but Boomers on my Ric in the past 15 years. Never had a problem that couldn't be easily resolved.

20. They probably got soaked in boat nectar; easily confused with rust.