Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ghs strings-- anyone?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ameuseall, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ameuseall

ameuseall

Nov 1, 2003
    I priced a set of GHS strings at my local music store,the only set of upright strings they had, at 140.00. They are nickle wound,perlon cored. Does anyone have experience with these?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I had no idea GHS made upright strings, and because I've never heard of them and should have if anyone used them, I would stay away and go with a more popular brand that would be cheaper than $140.

3. I just saw GHS 4100's listed at Juststrings.com for $125. Perlon core with Alum G and nickel E, A and D. I'm very curious about them. Has anyone tried them?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'd like to know as well. LONG time Boomer addict on the Slab.

5. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Interesting. Unfortunately, going right to the source - http://www.ghsstrings.com/ - I couldn't find any mention of these strings... Perhaps what dealers have are all that are left?

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I like the idea of the perlon core G. G's on my bass always stick out as brighter than the other strings in a matched set. I usually end up with a G of a different, darker make than the others. I'll have to wait for someone with a day job to try these GHS strings, however. I can't risk the scratch.

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Never heard of these or anyone using them.

There are a lot of Perlon Core strings on the market that people have used that you wouldn't be taking such a big chance on if you wanted a string. Much more readily available. Many that you could buy as a single string rather than popping for the full set if you only wanted the G. Probably some available in our classifieds from members.

Don't be enamoured by the brand because you like their Bass Guitar strings. It doesn't translate.

Just my advice.

If someone does buy a set of these, for some reason, though, I'd love to see them reviewed. If they offer them up in the classifieds used, it would hard for me to resist the temptation for about $20, but I wouldn't pay much more than that. Better to invest in companies who specialize in strings for the instrument that get tested 10k gigs a night.

8. This thread is over four years old, and GHS is just NOW putting these strings on their site as a new product?!

9. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I know the answer, but I can't stop myself....why is it tempting?

Where is the temptation to throw $120 at a string that you know nothing about? Never read a single review of? No reputation. At least Pirastro gave a few sets away like a proper drug dealer to get us talking about it. What is it, they just print a package up and people open their wallets?

10. haha.... i hear ya. yes, ghs distribuitng some promo stuff to TB'ers would be nice. i guess it's just gas, and that i'm a big fan of their pressurewound electric strings.... i know, i know, it doesn't equate to other good products... just thought the price was tempting for someone who's wanting to try them....

11. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    But, the process of making doublebass strings is totally different and brand loyalty aside, I don't think one translates to the other at all. The electric strings don't have perlon cores, so right away, it's a totally different process. The length, amount of pressure applied when playing, vibration needed to generate sound from a doublebass vs an electric bass guitar are all totally different.

On the subject of perlon core strings, of the companies totally dedicated to perfecting bass, cello and violin strings for the last 40-80 years or however long, I don't think any of them have really perfected the perlon core, metal wrapped bass string. Most of them have some construction problems and they stand behind them with exchanges for either replacements or exchanges for their more proven (all metal) models. What will GHS send you if their strings fail?

How good of a deal is $120 if the windings flake off of that Perlon core after a month? Who has been gigging with these strings to help test them for GHS? None of us, not that we're the entire body of bass players in the world, but frankly, we're a pretty thorough representation of it and if we (or someone) hasn't been involved in R&D and testing for them, my assumption is that this is a guitar string company (arguably a good one) who knew if they didn't spend too much money putting out some "upright" bass strings that they would sell them on their brand alone to people who primarily played EBG, but had an upright for certain gigs or things. Kind of pisses me off at them, actually.

I would go a step further to speculate as to whether they perhaps even made these strings. It would have been kind of hard for them to ramp up single line production. Why would they and not promote them, advertise, get some testers? Maybe these are Innovations or LaBellas or Kolsteins private labeled. Things like that have happened before. So, why bother? Because they suspected that if they put the letter GHS on a packet that that would be good enough for somebody.

For the price, you can get a set of Helicores right now for $94 from Quinn
    If you want a perlon core, Kolstein Heritages are $127 (that's an extra $7 for a product made by someone dedicated to making DB strings. They've been testing and he'll stand behind them.) You can also get just the G, if that's all you wanted for $26. If you don't need Perlon, Kolstein Varicores, which have been road tested for years are $110/set this morning, for a tested, proven, backed product.

Pirastro Obligatos are kind of king of the perlon core strings are $135. I personally think they will fail you, depending on how you play, but Pirstro will stand behind their product. In my case, they replaced them generously (I won't say how), but I ended up with using both their Permanents and Jazzers, which are closer to $150/set, but in the case of Jazzers will last forever.

Labella Supernils have some type of synthetic core, if that's what you're looking for. Been on the market for ages and can be had for $72/set.

Innovations have made Perlon or perlon-like core strings longer than anyone. Have their problems, but generally are well proven strings and guess what...$120/set. I can't help but wonder if GHS, didn't just invent a package and strike a deal with Innovation. But, buy Innovations and you know what you're getting.

I could go on, but I think you see my point. Maybe it doesn't matter, though.

How's the grass roots effort to get DR to enter the market coming along? Anyone reached out to Ernie Ball yet? That's probably the answer to our prayers. I would love a set of PowerSlinkys in orchestra tuning for 3/4 mensure.

Sorry to be cranky.

12. haha... you don't have to apologize, you make a very good case. when it comes right down to it, if i wanted to try some different strings, i'd be dropping my cash on a set of Kolstein Heritage strings...