GHS Strings Launch Limited Edition Infinity Steels

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 25, 2016.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    GHS Strings are delighted to reveal their Limited Edition Infinity Steels coated roundwound electric bass strings, available only while stocks last.

With more people setting out to become bass players and demanding very specific tools for their growing needs, GHS decided to revisit the Infinity Steels bass guitar strings and introduce a limited edition that would appeal to the modern player.

To produce the new Limited Edition Infinity Steels GHS began with the finest raw materials and used a finely-regulated coating process called MST (Metal Surface Treatment). This unique technology coats the outer wires which are then wrapped around a high quality core wire to maximize tone and endurance. The core / cover ratio has been tweaked and the E and B strings have been made with tapered ends to produce a totally new sound creating the perfect homage to the earlier Infinity Steels. They come in the following gauges: -

ISB-L5000: 40-58-80-102
    ISB-ML5000: 44-63-80-102
    ISB-M5000: 44-63-84-106
    5ML-ISB: 44-63-80-102-126 (5-String)

The Limited Edition Infinity Strings enable today’s bass guitar player to express their own ideas and individuality while experiencing and discovering the the unique, timeless tone of the first ones. Just like the originals the Limited Edition Infinity Steels are coated in an easily recognizable red and give outstanding, extended performance life.

Bass players looking for a distinctive string that is dynamic and contemporary should check out the Limited Edition Infinity Steels. To find out more please go to http://www.ghsstrings.com.

Limited_Edition_Infinity_Steels.jpg

2. ThatsYourName?

ThatsYourName?

Jan 24, 2015
    Adelaide
    Weren't Infinity Steels previously a old product of GHS?

What's the point of making it a Limited Time product? Possible relaunch as a consumer product if the reception is positive?

TeamBill and red_rhino like this.
  3. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    A toe in the water, as it were.

4. BassHouston

BassHouston Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Spring , TX
    Endorsing artist: Michael Tobias Design, Fodera Guitars
    So if I really like the strings and interested in keep using them and purchase more sets, what would I do?

Leiria likes this.
  5. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    If they're decent strings, why make them limited edition? If I end up liking them, I'm SOL. Sounds like lame hype to sell underperforming strings.

dcbassist5 likes this.
  6. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I would never buy a limited edition string. What if i liked em ?

Leiria likes this.
  7. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    leave em on?

Tanner5382, AstralBirth and hover like this.
  8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Man, what's a set of these...20-25 bucks? It's not like you're out a fortune if you like em or don't, and if the supply gets bought up and response / customer request is high enough, it's not like they couldn't make them again. I will certainly try them, and if I dig them, buy up as much as I can. I only change strings every 3-4 months anyway as I keep them clean and my Ph is low so I don't rot thru them... companies can't do or try anything these days w/o complaints it seems. Good on ya GHS, I'm a Slinky guy these days (after bein a Boomers and Chromes guy for YEARS), but I'll give yer string a go, sure.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    In case anyone was curious how the infinity steels sounded. I personally love them but with all due respect to GHS I wish they didn't have to make em "Limited Edition" but I guess that just means I'll have to buy 2 sets. One for playing and one for display amongst my other collection of "Limited Edition" bass strings.

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  10. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Well, I'd love to try them.

Let's look here. Oh, wait...no medium gauges (50, 70, 85, 105, 135)? Really? I'm so, so, shocked.

No, I'm not. At all.

I can't give them all my ire, though, no one else does without a hideously expensive custom gauge order, either.

Except Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. Good thing I like them well enough....

Back to the salt mine...

11. I ordered a set of medium gauges from the GHS store. Should be getting them soon; I'll be putting them on my Corvette fretless. I should be getting them tonight or tomorrow

ThatsYourName? likes this.
  12. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    how long do they actually last?

infinity implies a while.......................

13. Tdub77

Tdub77

Feb 10, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    Well they are red so there's that...

14. Tdub77

Tdub77

Feb 10, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    not sure if these are the same thing but It looks like The bass place in Az has 5 sets of these for $49! Crazy, I might be reading it wrong or they aren't the same. Here's the link.
    GHS Rock-its 44-102 4-String Set

15. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    Try them....possibly love them....then I can't get them. NO THANKS!

16. :(Yeah, tell me about it... These are my favorite strings to date.

17. Could you please give some more info about them? Like playability, tension, did the sound change already? etc
    It's is hard to find any feedback on these new strings...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  18. Well, I have them on my Warwick Corvette, fretless, and I find them to be rather soft feeling strings. They were a little sticky when I first got them, but I wore that off in about a day. I don't remember what they sounded like when I first got them (mostly because I generally hate the sound of new strings and play so much I'll kill off the new "zing" of strings within 2 days), but at this point in time, they've mellowed out quite nicely. I can take these strings all the way down to A standard tuning if I want and they hold up well - lot less flopping around than what I tend to feel from some Ernies. I can get tones incredibly similar to what you'd expect from Les Claypool to Bernie Edwards. As for super bright sounds, I can't be of much advice here, since Warwicks are generally renowned for their low-mid growl and cool output instead of bright and aggressive.

The strings keep a consistent volume and the tension they provide is nice and even throughout.

The coating on the strings is still here despite how much I play, but mind you I do so mostly fingers and without frets. I'm kind of hoping it wears away though one day - I think it'd look great.

They're still my favorite strings to date on this instrument

SirMjac28 and Stefan Verbeeck like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022