Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GHS strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by =^..^=, Feb 13, 2001.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    After years of using DM Solid Bass strings I'm trying out a few different types. I like a string to 'growl' at me, not to worried about string life, but would quite like that nice new sound to last forever :D

I've tried a few sets of DM SLP's but found them to be quite dull to start off with - they just didn't get much worse with use. So they got binned.

Just got a set of DM blue steels which have a nice ring to them, but I also picked up a set of GHS boomers after seeing them recomended in lots of bass posts. Not tried them yet, but they are going on next !

I notice from the back of the boomers packets that the boomers are in GHS's opinion not the brightest they make, and that the contact core super steels (ccss) are brighter.

Couple of questions

1. How do the boomers compare with the blue steels for brightness (I know I'm going to find this out - I'm just impatient)

2. How much brighter are the ccss than the boomers ? noticeably ?

3. Whats the trade off with the ccss for the brightness ? Shorter life span ?

4. If you were after the brightest string you can get what would it be ?

Thanks guys for your time !

2. The answer to question #4 would be D'Addario Prisms, very bright.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I find Blue Steels brighter than boomers. The brightest strings I've ever used were D'Addario Prism's. Close second would be SIT Rock Brights. Stainless Steel, of course.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Insecticide #5 (A little bit of pharoh ants in my life, a little bit of roaches in the sun...) -

I can answer your question re: the GHS Contact Core Super Steel strings, as I've been using them for ~6 years now.

The trade off between the CCSS's and Boomers? The CCSS's are a bit brighter, and they last longer! :D I've left sets on in excess of 6 months, with no serious loss in tone (they get a bit dull, but not lifeless by any stretch of the imagination). There is also a whole 'nother set of advantages which would be answered by reading the thread re: tapercore strings, which I just posted to.

If you want bright and long lasting, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the CCSS's. With some minor modification to eq and technique, I've used these strings for gigs ranging from metal to country to latin to R&B, with great success.

Joe Bob says 4 stars, check 'em out!

5. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    I picked up a set of GHS Bass Boomers that will be going on my new J-Bass as soon as I get it home tomarrow. The "Geddy Lee" signature Jazz Bass comes with Fender stainless steel strings, and I'm no fan of stainless strings on either guitar or bass.
    I wanted to get DR sunbeams, but nobody around here has them, so I got the GHS B.B.'s instead.
    I'll post my results in a day or two, and let you know how They sound.

6. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    After playing the Blue steels for a couple of weeks I've just put the GHS Bass Boomers on.

Honestly what a pile of sh!t. I'm never ever going to buy them again... I am so disapointed. I'll leave them on for a gig I've got next week (if they last that long..) but after that they are going in the bin.

I'm going to order a couple of sets of prisms next time I'm in the shop and see what they are like.

7. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    I've tried Boomers, and they started out sounding good, but went dead rather quickly.

I personally like GHS Progressives. They're bright, but not Super Bright. What I like most about them is they don't go dead for a long time. They are the most consistant over time of any string I've used.
    I guess they are not the most popular string, but I don't know why!?

I tried Dean Markley<sp?> Blue Steels. They sound great for about 10 minutes and then go deader than a doornail.

Rotosound? Sound great for a couple days, then ....

D'Addario? I used to use XL nickles all the time. A good string, but I had problems with the consistancy of quality of the E string. I'd buy one set, the E would be great, next set, the E would be crummy. This was getting very annoying. This was many years ago, maybe they've improved their process. I guess the winding tension and speed have to be controlled precisely to get a consistant quality.

Anyway.. try Progressives, you might like 'em

Randy

8. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    I JUST PUT A SET OF PEAVEY CIRRUS BASS STRINGS ON MY MIM FENDER JAZZ....AND THEY SOUND GREAT....GOOD PUNCH, BRIGHT AND WARMTH. THE 'E' STRING IS WHAT I LIKE THE MOST ABOUT THIS SET OF STRINGS, IT'S VERY DEFINED AND CLEAR, NOT MUDDY OR FLOBBY. THE GAGE SET I HAVE IS 45 - 105. THE SAME SET OF STRINGS PEAVEY USES ON THE CIRRUS BASS.

peace, BJ

9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Why are you yelling? Just asking...

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    im a big blue steel fan, i use them on all my basses whenever i can. I do not like ghs boomers at all. they dont last and dont have near as good a sound as the blue steels do. youll see once you put them on. they imo are a very very lousy string

11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I use Boomers from time to time...my previous set lasted six months, I usually only change strings when one of them breaks, but my new bass doesn't break strings at all. (My previous Warwick did it)
    I find that those boomers sound very nice, after the first two weeks (I don't like the sound of real new strings), they have good sustain, even responce, and they're not too stuff.

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Whenever I've put Boomers on my basses they always stiffens up the feel and suck the sweet tone right out. Super Steels are better but not very soulful. Progressives, on the other hand are some of my very favorite strings: flexible, bright and warm, long lasting. For some reason they're not very popular and are hard to find in stores that carry GHS.