1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GHS tapes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vmabus, Jun 21, 2014.

1. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I know a lot of you use tapewounds, especially on fretless, but I gotta say, I LOVE GHS tapes! I finally got the transducer/buffer/preamp straightened out on my Carvin AC-50, but it didn't sound great, ya know? The sound was just kinda O.K., but the difference of sound level across the strings was enough that I couldn't play on the G-string loud enough to balance. I took the Labellas off, polished the fingerboard with 0000 steel wool, oiled and buffed 'til it shines! Put on my GHS spare set, and WOW! I finally like this bass! The sound is very uniform across the strings, the articulation is much better, and there is more attack and less of the microphonics so prevalent with piezo pickups. Maybe the Labellas were just old; they looked new; hard to say with tapes...
    I don't want to sound like a commercial, but the price on the GHS tapes is very good, too!

2. I was impressed with the sound of mine and have used them on my Carvin AC40 fretless ABG. They also sounded great on my fretless 5 string. My favorite thing about them is that they use standard gauges (.50-.105, I believe) and you do not have to modify the nut like on the heavy gauged ones. They really shine on acoustic bass guitars.

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Thanks for the praise, folks, we definitely appreciate it!

And FYI, I had our tapewounds adjusted in the winter so the tuner end would be able to fit the smaller, Gotoh style tuning pegs (previously, they only fit the larger Fender style), so they should be good for anyone to enjoy.

Root 5 and vmabus like this.
  4. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Good thing, GHS changed that! On a bass I got to use in the States (a Spector electric from a friend) I did manage to fit them with a little patience, the low E specifically. She couldn't believe how that bass opened up soundwise!

5. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    I do not praise them. I returned them immediately.
    Reason: the set consisted of two groups of differently constructed strings. One group had a very thick core (which did not fit into any of my tuners). These had a very nice and mellow sound - like flats. As far as i remember, these were E and D. A and G were constructed more similar to the black D'Addarios and sounded similar. No problem with the tuning pegs - but honestly: who needs such an imbalance in sound?

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you got one of the older sets, although the difference in strings is odd. If you ever have an issue with something like that with GHS in the future, please let me know and I'll handle it personally.

7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    GHS tapewounds are great. They may very well be my favourite tapewound string.

The only minor gripe I have is that I wish GHS would swap the red silk for the wine red/burgundy silk a la Progressives! :)

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have GHS on my Tacoma Thunderchief, and love 'em. I recently tried a set of D'Addario tape wounds on my new-to-me Guild B-50 ... only one gig on them, not sure whether I like 'em yet or not.

9. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Thanks. Otherwise i like many of Your products, e.g the pressurewounds and prefer the brite flats over the Daddario halfrounds.

10. ImTheOnlyOne

ImTheOnlyOne

Apr 7, 2011
    GHS Official - thanks for that change.

OP - I really like the feel, tension, and tone of these on an old Yamaha P/J FL. Neither D'A (G too poppy) nor Roto TruBass (too clacky and "dead") worked as well.

11. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I agree with you. GHS tapewounds feel great - smoother than D'Addarios, much smoother than Fender 9120s and equal to or better than Labella and Rotosound IMO.