Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GI Bill

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris J, Mar 21, 2005.

1. After WW2 the GI Bill allowed veterans to go to college for either free or very very cheap in the United States. Does anyone know if Vietnam war vets were allowed to take advantage of the GI Bill?

2. Yes, it still exists:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

It's a great deal. It was good for $400 a month when I was going to school and it's good for a lot more these days.

3. Thanks. I found that site also but didn't notice if vets from Vietnam got its benefits too.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I would suggest contacting the VA. If you served in Vietnam, and are now looking to take advantage of the GI Bill, you are going to have to alot of explaining why you waited this long to ask about it. That explaining will come in the form of miles of paperwork.

If you have any pervious experience with the VA, then you know this is going to be a lengthy process that will probably end up with them telling you "no".

I noticed that you are in Canada. My comments pertain to USA military veterans.

-Mike

5. No no that's not it at all. Just writing a paper and didn't want to get the facts wrong. Besides, I'm 19.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ahhh OK. I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

-Mike

7. No apology needed. The thought of me being a 'nam war vet gave me a bit of a much-needed laugh. I think this is the 10th time I pull an all-nighter this month. A lesson to anyone who's reading get your work done in advance!

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, Vietnam era vets qualify for the GI Bill. I used it to go to college after I got out in 1977.

9. The GI Bill applies to anyone that is or has been in the military. The rates have gone up since WWII and has been in effect since WWII. So, yes, a Vietnam Veteran would have had access to the GI Bill. GI Bill eligibility ends 10 years after your seperation from service.

10. Yes. I served from 1967 to 1971 and used the GI bill to pay all tuition and books for my last undergrad year and a 3year Masters program. I then got aVA home loan for our first house.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Unless you served during a period when they were stressing over budget issues and they decided at apparent random to deny your benefit after you had payed for it. In the '80's they would give you the one-time choice of signing up for the GI bill or not. Then they would take money out of your check for a year to pay for it if you had signed on. Then years later when you are being discharged they decide whether you 'qualify' to get your benefit. I'm one of the guys that got screwed on this. I payed for mine and then got denied. So no GI bill for Wayne.

And yes. I'm still bitter about it 17 years later..

12. I payed into the GI Bill when I entered the Coast Guard, and the amount has really shot up. You pay $1200 total ($100/month for first year of enlistment) and get back $27,000 total, IIRC. I may not end up using it, as I'm 60 credit hours away from earning my AA. Apparently, there's a bill in the House right now to possibly allow your dependents (children or spouse) to use your GI Bill instead, if you so choose.

The reason the 80's denial of benefits happened was because Congress felt that more people were using the GI Bill, while less were paying into it, and denied some people their benefits in order to save a deficit, or at least, that's what I've heard.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It was also the era of the Gramm-Rudman budget cuts. Their was a law passed that said if the congress couldn't find a way to cut spending coherently and rationally, they would cut it incoherently and irrationally. Since Washington couldn't think of a way to intelligently limit it's spending, it just cut money across the board. So the military needed (made up number for the sake of examples) $25,000,000 to make their expenses (pay checks, fuel, etc...) for a period of time. Congress says "We couldn't decide which prok program to cut. So here's $18,000,000 to pay your $25,000,000 expenses." Because they are politicians, they didn't understand that this is a bad idea. So the services were looking for ways to slash costs in big sweeping chops.

I was one of those chops. Actually a couple of times, I got out early because of those cuts. I did something like 43 months out of four years. I'm sure someone bean counter claimed both the few months pay and the GI bill savings from me as a huge victory. I don't see it that way.

14. The guy at the next desk over from me fell under the Vietnam era GI Bill- as soon as he mentioned it I remembered that phrase. Anyway, he was commissioned in 76 and got out in '88. It seems that the Vienam Era GI Bill was expiring, but he wasn't enrolled in the Montgomery GI Bill. He was going to lose his GI Bill benefits, but it ended up rolling over into the Montgomery GI Bill.

I remember a lot of talk about "early outs" in 1990, as it was, when I did ETS I got NO reenlistment options- well- other than 6 years PDA. I did end up going into the Reserve, but with no bonus or anything.