Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Giant BUCK$ for a Bass Head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I fired off a scathing email to Phil Jones Bass regarding their asking price for the T-500. Bass Central... a truly fine online dealer... posts a List Price at slightly south of 10 FREAKING GRAND! So... I gotta ask you, my most level-headed breathren of the TB Community... did I over-react? Is TEN FREAKING GRAND (and most any beer guzzling bass player knows that paying list price is his wife's own bad habit...) a reasonable MSRP price for this head?

http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/AMP/T-500.htm

I sure as hell don't... :spit:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Why is it your business to email them about the price? If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Next, please write Mercedes Benz and complain about their prices. And I'm sure theres more.
    Its kind of pointless to do that. It won't bring the price down and you just look foolish.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Also, send a scathing communique to the folks at Bentley as well. Their heads have gotten away from their hats. Also, the call girls in Vegas, they...um....nevermind that last one, I'll work it out. :bag:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually Phil will probably delete it without answering.

The thing you need to remember is that expensive things are priced expensively to sell to rich people. There are plenty of amps out there that are just as good that don't cost $10,000, just as there are plenty of basses as good or better than an Alembic Series I that don't cost $12,000. You should find an amp a little more in line with your budget and let the rich folks buy the $10,000 amps.

And for God's sakes, don't send any more emails complaining about prices. Phil Jones doesn't owe it to you to price his gear so you can afford it.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    How do you know it's not worth what he's asking?

Have you played one? Have you opened one up and done a cost analysis of the parts, or the labor involved in manufacture? How about the rarity (ie supply/demand)?

In the end, what do you really care, I mean beyond in a tantrumish 'life's not fair' kind of way?

If I made a few bucks more a year, I'd look at one...I mean there are lots of people on this board who will pay 4 to 7 $K for a bass, why not the same amount for an amp?

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Try to find or buy a Dumble ...

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    COMPLETELY over-reacted... Do you call Ferrari & bitch at them for building cars you cant afford.

9. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    No....Hell no. I don't even have to look at the picture to tell you that 10 g's is a retarded amount for a bass head. If I had $10,000 to spend on bass gear I would use it a little more effectively. Think of how much stuff you could buy for 10 grand! :eek:

The people who will but this will not be worried about the price, and $10,000 to them will be like $100 to us.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yes, the price is outrageous.....but people who willingly pay that much deserve to be bent over.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Gee. I wonder how many more gigs I will get if I had a $10,000 bass amp behind me.

12. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    it is freaking nuts.. that's what it is..

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sure, its crazy expensive... But, is it really necessary to "write a scathing email" to the company & bitch at them? THAT's whats nuts here.

14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

uhmm , gee whiz ,
    do i detect a touch of sarcasm here ...? :D:D

15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    could you please fire off a note to greedy america about how school teachers can't afford to buy homes in the communities they teach for?
    (these are not rich communities, btw!)
    i'm sure it will get just as much accomplished.
    about as much as this post :rolleyes:

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd say so, but hey you're free to voice your opinion. I wouldn't spend north of $6K on a single piece of gear period, but many people can afford that.

Marshall

17. chrisb7601

chrisb7601

Aug 30, 2005
    Yeah, you probably overreacted. It's "worth" $10k if someone is willing to pay that. Basically it is worth whatever the market will bear.

That's how the law of supply-and-demand and the theory of free trade work; the buyer and seller determine value, not outside parties. At least they should; the seller by setting a price and the buyer by deciding whether or not to pay it. That way everybody is free.

(It annoys my level head when people get upset over someone else's legal pricing policies.)

-Chris

Edit: Make it kinder and gentler. (Sometimes I hate being nice!)

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you read the reviews, it seems like it's worth it.

19. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    650 Watts of tube power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW:D

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I also think the price is ludicrous. i'd have no prob if this was in the 4-6.5k range, because that would make sense by the prices of the competition. All of phil's stuff is on the ridiculous side one way or the other though :p